Music Theory Grade 2 Test

Ready to pass Grade 2? Let's do this!

View the full lesson at Music Theory Grade 2 Test | JustinGuitar

I’m a little confused about two answers on the PMT Grade 2 Test ANSWERS Key.

For Question 5, the Answer Key indicates that “One tone above F#” is “G#”.
But could we also answer that “One tone above F#” is G# / Bb? [Correction: G# / Ab]

Also for Question 5, the Answer Key indicates that “One tone above Cb” is “C#”.
But could we also answer that “One tone above Cb” is C# / Db?

1 Like

Generally you would stick to notes in the same scale, and you wouldn’t mix sharps and flats. Enharmonically Ab (not Bb) is the same as G#, so since G# and Ab are the same note yes Ab is also 1 tone above F#, but we would generally say G# not Ab.

For the second note, based on my reasoning above I would think that Db would be a ‘better’ response. C# and Db are the same note so both are correct, but my response would be Db.

@Richard_close2u or @stitch or @J.W.C or anyone else, do you have anything to add?

Mari

6 Likes

@mari you are correct in both your answers and reasoning.

4 Likes

Hi Scott.
@mari sums it all up pretty well.

The answer sheet acknowledges alternative options:

If these questions were within the context of scales then categorically, the enharmonic options would be reduced as you can not use the same alphabetical letter twice within a scale.

For each of the questions the only answers could be:
a] one semitone above C = Db
b] one tone above F# = G#
c] one semitone below G# = F##
d] one tone Cb = Db

But there is no context. You are at liberty to use any note or its enharmonic found around the Note Circle. And all answers are therefore good if taken from the correct location.

Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

4 Likes

Hi Mari,
Thanks for correcting my enharmonic flub!
And thanks for your thoughtful explanation :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Late to the party, but I concur.

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

This is Grade 2, the question clearly states that there are enharmonic equivalents as explained earlier in the videos. There was no explanation given on the fact that within a scale the same alphabetical letter should not be used twice. I had the same answers and had both note names. This was confusing. The question does not mention anything about scales. I would suggest the answer sheet be amended to include both note names OR update the video to explain the same alphabetical name cannot be used twice within a scale and update the question to make it clear it is within the context of a scale.

1 Like

Hello @bnitchel and welcome to the community. Feel free to pop in to the Community Hub and introduce yourself there. Community Hub - JustinGuitar Community

You make a good point about the answer sheet. Perhaps it should include all possible answers to be fully comprehensive.

There is no need to make additional about the rules of naming scale notes to the lesson. Those comments I made above were supplemental information only and not a necessary part of the learning for Theory Grade 2. I apologise if I stepped too far and beyond the limits of this section of the course. That learning about the major scale comes in Grade 3.

Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

100% Justin, thanks !!

1 Like

Im confused as i did not think there was a c flat. could someone explain to me please?

2 Likes

Hi Adam.
Welcome ,
But if I tell you that the C flat does exist, will your confusion be solved?
I hope this helps a little,
Greetings Rogier

1 Like

Is the Cb not just the enharmonic equivalent of a B?

1 Like

Yes,…

1 Like

@illogicaldwarf1 @Socio theory dictates that you can only use each letter once in a scale so the key of Gb has a Cb.
Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F

2 Likes

Did the Grade 2 Music Test today and got 93%.

Got two questions wrong, don’t worry not going to give the correct answers

Q10 on rhythmic notation- knew what the correct answer was, but did not read correctly the way the question was put and gave the wrong response, operator error!!!

Q25 on scales - definitely got that wrong but in my defence I really know very little about scales. Looking back and Knowing what the answer I sort of understand.

Having said that I considered to have passed and already signed up for Grade 3. Next module has 15 lessons, gulp!!!

However going to spend more time memorising notes in the first five frets, I can work it out but want it to be more instinctive, using Justin’s note trainer app which is very good.

Also there is a scales course with lesson for beginners but I can see that is going to be coming up in Grade 2 guitar and also in theory

Onward and upwards

Michael

2 Likes

Well done Michael. Onwards and upwards. Have you started the ear training?

1 Like

James
Just started it and at the point where you have to play the melody for happy birthday, that’s going to be a challenge.
Have got the app but not really tried it yet wanted to get the Theory Grade 2 test done first.
Michael

2 Likes

Maybe this will help. You only need to know the notes on the first 4 at the fifth fret they are the some as the next string open. Adjust for the B string. E string 5th fret is A so the next 4 note on the E string are the same as the A string. the 10 fret on the E string is D so the next 4 notes are the same as the D string. as long ad you adjust for the B string this woeks on all the other strings.
The some goes for the 7th fret but the other way.

2 Likes

Rick

Thanks for this an excellent diagram, however it is the one thing I do know as it is how I tuned my guitar 50 years ago, the so called fifth fret method. In fact I am preparing a just chatting post on this for later issue this weekend.
I had been giving it some thought and thinking if I could remember the shape of notes A, B etc in the five frets then I hopefully my brain can easily fill the gaps in between.
Just downloaded ebooks for Grade 3 and Justin wants you to learn where the ‘major notes’ are and it sounds like what I had in mind.

Cheers Michael :+1:

1 Like