Music Theory Grade 3 Test

Are you ready to pass Grade 3?

View the full lesson at Music Theory Grade 3 Test | JustinGuitar

2 Likes

Passed first time. Made some silly mistakes but I wasn’t lost concept wise at any time. Looking forward to progressing further.

1 Like

The figuring out a key based on the sharps and flats was a disaster for me. I do not have memorized how many sharps and flats are in a specific key without writing it down. I was able to get about 1/2 correct based on filling out the given scales on the next page. Other than that, the instruction helped a great deal.

1 Like

Here are some thoughts on music theory and sharps and flats:

5 Likes

“We have smartened it up to that simple.”

Indeed. A brilliant way of getting across some key information (pun intended).
Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

That tip about adding to get 7 in total is brilliant.

1 Like

Indeed it is. That was one of the first things that occurred to me when I started Justin’s music theory course and got to the major scale.

It’s a pity that a really really long comment of mine about the relationship of the number of sharps/flats and the scale degrees + double sharps/flats and the order of their appearance got lost. Probably it’s a good opportunity to revisit the topic and post it again…

2 Likes

this was awesome! Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Ohhhhh that’s a good tip that should be included in the lesson for sure!

1 Like

Took about an hour, made a couple little mistakes but def in the high 90s. Really nice review of the material from grade 3, I feel more competent and confident already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :+1:

1 Like

On first watching I thought wow what a revelation. On subsequent views I got confused. I’m gonna have to make notes then maybe I can remember lol.

1 Like

Question 2 is about pentatonic scales - I don’t recall coming across those in the theory course yet or have I missed a lesson?

2 Likes

i also didn’t think we covered minor p scale yet in these lessons? and i noticed really quick for the sharp and flats you can add or subtract one from the other and it always equals 7!! made it easier for me.

1 Like

@dmccaff @Adam87

No the Pentatonic scales have not been covered thus far in the Theory course so you haven’t missed anything. So far Justin is teaching Major Scale theory only. He must have a reason for that and I trust him to give the best method for students of all kinds of styles of guitar music to be able to apply to their playing.
After all the Major Scale forms the building blocks for all Western music.

1 Like

It was mentioned here: Fretboard Diagrams For Scales | JustinGuitar.com

So the lesson was not about the scale itself but about reading scale diagrams.

1 Like

Aside from making a careless mistake in Question 10, and omitting three notes in Questions 3 and 12 I answered the others correctly. Key signatures were the most challenging questions. I’ve gone through theory tutorials before, but this one presented the material in a more comprehensible format. Thanks for a really good course.

1 Like

I did better than I thought I would but… flats really mess me up!

1 Like

Passed with flying colors, thank you for this course, I’m retaining a lot more information than I thought.

1 Like

Passed! I didn’t get 100% (about 95%), lost a couple of marks because I’m still making the occasional mistake where the notes are on the fret board. I need to spend more time with the Justin guitar note training app!

1 Like

Finished all. Got a little confused on the question 16 but it was late in the day . Had music lessons on piano long time ago.

1 Like