Music Theory Grade 3 Test

The biggest advantage it will give you is you could look at a piece of sheet music and know what key it was in so you’d know what the chords would most likely be and what key to use if you were to solo over it without knowing how to read the actual Sheet music. Just by know how many sharps or flats are in the song.
Like everything in music there are exceptions to the rule.

Even playing by ear you need to know what notes are in each scale to help you figure out the most likely chords.

1 Like

Examen passed :raised_hands:!

2 Likes

Pretty sure the diagram for question 12 on the blank printed test is wrong. The root note should start on the 3rd fret. It’s the G major scale.

1 Like

As this pattern has no open strings, it’s movable. The diagram in the test is a general one.

1 Like

The pattern is an E shape major scale pattern. Jozsef is correct the pattern is movable anywhere on the neck.

1 Like

@dmccaff @Adam87 @dave.pritchard101 @QuantumHoward @isvo @Avleen

A Minor Pentatonic lessons in Grade 2: The A Minor Pentatonic | JustinGuitar.com

and in the Theory course: Fretboard Diagrams For Scales | JustinGuitar.com

@Avleen re: Q13

Check the Key Signatures On Staves and the Mr Cato’s Trick lessons.

Quest ion 16.
Write out the notes of the Major Scale in the following keys:
C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

I don’t understand why are do we call it a E# and B# instead of a F and C? I thought B# and E#'s do not exist…?

1 Like

Hi David,
I asked the same question on a different thread. Here is the answer I got:

There were a couple of other answers. You might want to have a look at those too.

2 Likes

94% Made a silly mistake on the major scale intervals and put the T T S T T T S starting from the 1st note rather than the second. Looking forward to the next course. Really excellent and well explained. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello @seekchange and welcome to the comunity.

All seven letters must be used once and once only.
No letter can be used more than once.
To ensure this rule is adhered to names using enharmonic equivalents must be used.

I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Is there a moving on criteria for this module (like in the practical courses)? Not just the exam but how well to have memorised the various pieces (notes in keys, fretboard notes etc)?

1 Like

There is no % pass mark as such Liam.
If you feel you could do better and are not on top of the learning and solid with your understanding then you can spend a little longer working through, using these discussions to ask questions etc.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Thanks Richard! What about the memorisation pieces like the notes in the keys and the notes on the fretboard? Is there a recommended level of speed / accuracy on those or is it just a case of playing it by ear (‘scuse the pun)?

1 Like

@freekeys No speed metric to measure yourself against, just accuracy.

I did well on the Grade 3 test with the exception of forgetting to fill in all the notes of the major scale. I just filled in the notes from root to root (or tonic) notes over the 2 octave range. I also forgot to include some of the enharmonic equivalents. Overall a fair test and the lessons were very useful and instructive.

1 Like

Got back to revisiting the Theory course in January, having got diverted towards the end of last year on other guitar related stuff.

So did the Grade 3 test this morning and depending how you mark the scoring I got either 88% or 98:5%, two mistakes in each part of questions 6 and 13, so seven of the eight parts right in each. Silly mistakes really I do know what the answer was.

Going to count as pass and move on as I feel I really know this Grade.

So it is onwards to triads or is it triffids!

Michael

1 Like

Passed first go, but the test was surprisingly challenging. Made 2 silly/obvious mistakes early on, but nailed all the really tricky questions. Ready for Grade 4!

2 Likes

Chad @cmowery
First of all welcome to community :smile:
Sounds exactly like me two silly mistakes on the easy bit got the hard parts right.
Well done on passing Grade 3, :+1:
Onwards we go
Michael

1 Like

Thanks @MAT1953. Seems like we are on the same wavelength! Having a blast so far, good luck to us both in Grade 4.

2 Likes