Music Theory Grade 3 Test

Is there a moving on criteria for this module (like in the practical courses)? Not just the exam but how well to have memorised the various pieces (notes in keys, fretboard notes etc)?

1 Like

There is no % pass mark as such Liam.
If you feel you could do better and are not on top of the learning and solid with your understanding then you can spend a little longer working through, using these discussions to ask questions etc.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Thanks Richard! What about the memorisation pieces like the notes in the keys and the notes on the fretboard? Is there a recommended level of speed / accuracy on those or is it just a case of playing it by ear (‘scuse the pun)?

1 Like

@freekeys No speed metric to measure yourself against, just accuracy.

I did well on the Grade 3 test with the exception of forgetting to fill in all the notes of the major scale. I just filled in the notes from root to root (or tonic) notes over the 2 octave range. I also forgot to include some of the enharmonic equivalents. Overall a fair test and the lessons were very useful and instructive.

1 Like

Got back to revisiting the Theory course in January, having got diverted towards the end of last year on other guitar related stuff.

So did the Grade 3 test this morning and depending how you mark the scoring I got either 88% or 98:5%, two mistakes in each part of questions 6 and 13, so seven of the eight parts right in each. Silly mistakes really I do know what the answer was.

Going to count as pass and move on as I feel I really know this Grade.

So it is onwards to triads or is it triffids!

Michael

1 Like

Passed first go, but the test was surprisingly challenging. Made 2 silly/obvious mistakes early on, but nailed all the really tricky questions. Ready for Grade 4!

2 Likes

Chad @cmowery
First of all welcome to community :smile:
Sounds exactly like me two silly mistakes on the easy bit got the hard parts right.
Well done on passing Grade 3, :+1:
Onwards we go
Michael

1 Like

Thanks @MAT1953. Seems like we are on the same wavelength! Having a blast so far, good luck to us both in Grade 4.

2 Likes