Music Theory Live Class #2: Chord Scale Relationships

Hi Mari, thanks a lot for your comment, I’m happy it’s not nice only to my ears…eh it’s my own creature after all, one might not be able to be objective! I play C# on the A chord, second and fourth bar of the second line. I feel very comfortable with Standard Notation, more than Tabs, because it gives me all the information I need where with tabs one is asked to be able to give all that information for granted…to tell the truth
I think I’m not smart enough for tabs :joy: I study the Classical guitar as well :heart_eyes:
Wow the piano…can you play the piano? :heart_eyes:

Your progression sounded really good but was complex, and longer compared to mine, maybe it’s this complexity that also made it more interesting to the ear…so I guess this second task was harder for you…but you kept on working it and you also have some lyrics already! Your melody will come I’m sure! Now is Justin going to ask us to write the lyrics as well?

2 Likes

We’ll be finding out soon enough! Even if he doesn’t though I’m hoping to carry it all the way through.

Re C sharp, no issue there, there’s a C# in an A chord, you’ve got a C flat indicated in your notation though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You’re right, that’s because that b should be up on the D line, it’ s a Db note = C#. Thanks for pointing that out, it makes much more sense to put one more # at beginning of the line with the Fs …I still need a lot of practice at writing :sweat_smile::grin:

1 Like

Thanks Silvia! Was definitely inspired by your video, great stuff!

1 Like

Are we suppose to post our chord progressions somewhere?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Marci :wave:

That was the mission for the first Live Class HERE, some useful info comments contained in that thread. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Silvia

Just catching up after a busy weekend. Sounding good to my old ears ! Like the way you weaved the melody into the progression and that it contained both strummed and arpeggiated chords. Top stuff !
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good to see another nice post and sounding good Sean !

2 Likes

Thanks Toby! :blush:

So great to read that you perceived my melody as weaving into the progression :notes::notes::notes:… such a pictoresque picture! There are a couple of chord changes that I need to practice more though, especially in the chorus, so that I can play it with less effort and make it feel smoothier.
Looking foward for the lesson tonight!

1 Like

Decided to keep the vocal melody but add 2 guitar tracks playing the same notes in a lower octave - making it easier to play when I get round to it (2nd position). Much needed edge I think. :sunglasses:

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/pmt-live-project-with-melody-reaper-v-2

3 Likes

That sounds very good Toby! I also loved the picture with the red dressed ladies and that big moon, it fits well with the mood of the piece. I hope you’ll play it for us, or sing if you’ll add the lyrics. I wouldn’t know where to start from at writing lyrics, even if I love writing.

2 Likes

Still sounding good Toby, sounds moody and ethereal!

2 Likes

I updated my chord progression, lengthened the bars a bit, simplified the chorus, and added a bridge. I haven’t finalized a melody yet because I would like to complete it as a song. I understand that the exercise was also to see where the melody notes fell in the chord, but I did that for a couple of other songs (Let it Be, Blowin In the Wind) so I’m going to proceed with melody and lyrics together for my song!

Intro Aadd9
Verse 1 Aadd9 A Major 9 A9 Dadd9 Gm D A D (2 bars each)
Chorus Gm D Gm D Gm Dadd9 (2 bars each)
Verse 2 same as Verse 1
Repeat Chorus

Bridge
Dadd9 D Dsus4 Dadd9 {x2}
A A Dadd9

Repeat chorus

(I got a bit lazy naming some of the chords!)

4 Likes

@Mari63 That revamp is giving me goose bumps but other factors may be at play. :wink:
There is a melody running through those picked chords already for sure. Love the way that you have also taken the KISS approach and thereby keeping the options open. Great to see you playing, thank you. Coming along nicely. :+1:

2 Likes

@SILVIA & @Mari63

I finger walked the new melody on one of the acoustics yesterday to get a feel of the lie of the land. Today I picked up on of the LPs (unplugged) and explored in a similar vein but seeking out slides and bends. So maybe a while before I get to record that side. The Hammond needs to come up in the mix but the blending will happen if I get to the point where it needs mastering. I just bought a vocal harmonising plugin from Waves, which I plan to experiment with the “siren” melody. So plan to exploit my devilish choir in the artwork with that little tool. There may not be room for lyrics after that but I’ll see what and where things fit. Watch this space.

But given what was said at last nights PMT Live and its future direction, I am not sure Exercise 1 and 2 will be exploited further. So I guess its down to us to make the music :wink:

3 Likes

PS Mari did you see the next Blues has moved to Tuesday, so no need to rush back tomorrow !

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly! And this far along, I figure I’ll keep going :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes I saw that, and I was very happy to see that!!

2 Likes

@Mari63 that is sooo beautiful Mari! :heart_eyes: I need a re-listen, maybe two or three :blush:… your Rhythm is so smooth and relaxed and as Toby I think some melody seems already there! Have fun with the lyrics. Wonderful, take a bow from me!

3 Likes

Thank you @SILVIA :slightly_smiling_face: Up next, lyrics - eventually!

2 Likes