Muted Strings Practice

Remember to have your guitar with you! It’s time to play along with me and learn this powerful strumming exercise! The full lesson is here.

I have completed the First 2 levels of Justin’s Tuition and now approaching level 3… I always found my strumming to be poor though, especially when opting for a slight heavier pick… so came back to the thin pick…

Because I always felt a little behind when it came to strumming I gave this Strumming Foundations course a try… Pretty good…

I wanted to offer a small video here showing technique and asking for areas of improvement, but I do not think video uploads can be done from here.

Great course Justin… thanks mate!

Thanks all… and seasons greetings

Chris

2 Likes

Chris @cjt5079
You sound a bit like me, but perhaps a little further on, and not being happy with strumming. Like you in following the course I have dropped back to a thinner pick, 0.46, and I think I am beginning to see some improvement.
As regards video uploads, you most certainly can do it.
I save my video into YouTube and copy and paste the link into your post. You need to make sure that the setting is that anybody with the link can view the video. Lots of other advice in various topics in the community.
Michael

2 Likes

Strumming with muted strings has been a real game changer for me. I don’t think that rhythm or coordination come naturally to me so sitting strumming muted strings, concentrating on just that one thing has really helped. I’m currently learning Wonderwall which has a 2 bar pattern of various ups and downs and trying to learn that while playing chords is just too much for me. Try the same thing on dead strings, slowly at first and then build up to playing alongside the song has really helped me. Once I can play the pattern at speed I then go on to introduce the chords and chord changes (slowly at first).
I’m also using a paper thin 0.46mm pick for this practice. I can mostly manage with 0.60mm but I can’t reliably strum with a thicker pick than that (for now).

2 Likes

@cjt5079

This course is awesome I went from not being able to get the disappearing metronome for more than a couple of notes to going several bars with the disappearing metronome. In 1 week

I really focused on the first couple lessons with the mechanics and I found one major thing I was doing wrong. There is a visible circle made by my thumb and index finger which made instant difference

2 Likes

Thanks Michael I will check out the youtube option

Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

This is good… I think it is all about the practice… simply foundations can really be something to build on.

Thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

These foundations are things you’ll build on forever - and they’re rarely instant fixes… most will take time and effort to build and get right - but it’s worth it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Crikey! I thought this lesson would be easy, it’s harder than I thought and I noticed straight away that I stopped moving my arm after the first strum whilst watching Justin count, but kept my foot tapping! I seem to be getting it now, eventually.

1 Like

I’m not doing the strumming course…

…but when I did the original exercise, I found keeping my strumming hand moving was more important than tapping my foot. I added the foot tapping later when my strumming rhythm was solid.

And that messed up my strumming for a while too…had to slow things down till I could do both at once, and then speed it up again.

Does Justin suggest focusing on the foot tapping first, and the strumming second?

1 Like

Justin suggests focusing on the strumming but to also be aware of tapping the foot as well, he also suggests not necessarily tapping the foot but moving from side to side or nodding head as an alternative, the important thing is to keep time.

2 Likes