MY 3e AVOYP : FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

David I’ll pick up on this later as I’m out with the dog yes I can make some suggestions or certainly highlight the way I tend to approach it using that website.

2 Likes

Hi Luc,
That was nice music to listen to, and great that you started with chords, :sunglasses: :clap:…and your video production was a great entertainment :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Good job, keep it up,…
Greetings,Rogier

thank you roger !

Hey Big Luc, that was great.
Early days and already multi tracking/layering, harmonics etc.
I cracked a huge smile when you started chair-dancing and ‘playing’ claps :laughing:
You’re on the right path, man1

1 Like

Thanks Brian ! I enjoy my new “double life” a lot. Thanks again ! :laughing: :sunglasses: :laughing: :sunglasses: :laughing: :sunglasses: :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

@BigLuc
Hey Luc

I’d not forgotten to follow this up but spent yesterday troubleshooting some recording issues. Good thing is you are using a DAW, Pro Logic ? Like many here I am a Reaper user but a DAW is a DAW.

David suggested http://karaoke-version.com/ for backing tracks and I would agree it is a good source and reasonably priced, I’ll normally pay 2.99 euros for a track or should I say tracks but I’ll come to that. One or two people here like @Kasper use Lick Library. Top quality tracks but a little more expensive however I have not looked at it for a while.

The good thing about http://karaoke-version.com/ is that you can down load the stems for each track individually. See the example below that I used to record The Who’s The Seeker recently. You have to solo each individual stem by clicking on the S on the right of the “track” and downlaod the mp3, then repeat for the rest of the stems. The other good thing is that it is not a one off purchase as the track remains available on your account for future use if manage to delete what you have downloaded.

Important Edit - Don’t buy the Karaoke file, as it is just video and audio without vocals. Cost about a tenner and good for nowt ! I learnt the hard way on that one. :angry:

What I generally do is load all the tracks/stems into the DAW, then add addition tracks for my own guitar and vocal parts. I’ll use the original parts that I will record as a guide and may leave them in while I am playing or singing but with the volume right down. When I come to record my parts I will either mute them or delete them from the project.

Having the individual stems loaded into the project gives you greater control of the mix. For example, with The Seeker all I wanted to use was drums bass piano electric piano and synth. Townsend’s solo in the bridge is way above my playgrade, so I just hammered out the riff but to make sure the solo element could be heard I raised the level of the piano part that accompanies Pete’s guitar. So as you can see using all the stems gives you wider flexibility. Hope that helps. :wink:

My other method for creating DAW based BTs is to source a GuitarPro file (say UltimateGuitar.com Mess around with it in GP7/8 and export the midi. Load the midi as separate tracks into the DAW, assign virtual instruments and the mix the BT. Obviously for that you need a selection of instrument VSTs but again there are good sources put the providing free plugins. Having said that the VSTs used in GuiatrPro are darn good when you dig into it and the audio can be saved as well. So another method !

Sorry that is a lot to take in but hopefully you or any other of our listeners find it useful.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have a pretty similar method as the one @TheMadman_tobyjenner outlines here. Just wanted to add that recently I’ve also switched to karaoke-version, so another recomendation for that site. LickLibrary also makes great tracks, sometimes better sounding than karaoke, but a more limited selection and no option for individual stems.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your elaborate answer !!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Thank you Kasper !!!

1 Like

That was really good Luc. Nicely done on the chord changes too.

I liked the video as well.

1 Like