I’ve been trying to work on developing skills for lead and improvising. Ive been struggling with this. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!
I’ve been trying to work on developing skills for lead and improvising. Ive been struggling with this. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!
Having an issue accessing this. ![]()
Sorry
Apologies, I’ve uploaded it again. Thanks.
I liked the tune you picked to solo over, Sam. Your guitar tone went well with the style of the song. You seem to have some licks to work with and started great. You played along with the feel of the song, up to about the 40 second mark. I think that’s about where the music repeats. I’m not sure. A bit more gaps in the licks maybe. Leaving space is important as playing so I’m learning. And repeat once the music starts at the beginning again, that is, if it’s say, a 12 bar blues, once the 12 is over, and starts again, play the same thing, maybe mix it a bit to keep interest. Were you reaching for more after the 40 second mark? Sounded like you weren’t sure what you wanted to do after that. Your picking, fingering, timing, and such are really good. Audio was clear, but maybe sit back a little more so people can see both hands completely, and if you’re comfortable, your face as well as facial expressions tell a lot, especially to the teaching assistants. All in all though, it sounded really nice. It left me wanting to see more videos of you playing. And welcome to the community!
Nice Sam. That sounded really cool. Very smooth, i like how you left nice clear spaces between your licks. Great phrasing. Cool tone too. Nice work bro.
Thanks for sharing
![]()
![]()
![]()
Hi Sam - I thought that sounded pretty good. Seems like you were focused on hitting chord tones, which is a really good approach to soloing. The only specific thing I saw to comment on were your bends, a couple of them were just a little out of tune. That’s really a common issue for a lot of us, myself included, and I think it’s something worth focusing on as you practice. Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing more posts!
Many thanks for your comment. Yes, after the 40 second mark, I did get a bit lost and didn’t know what to do. It’s definitely something I would like to work on! Nevertheless, I’m glad to be here!
Many thanks for your comment!
Many thanks for your comment! Yes, I’ve been trying to work on my bends. Definitely something I want to improve on!
Hi Sammy! I really, really liked the first 6 or 7 phrases you worked out! I also thought the very last phrase was a great idea. It might have sounded even better with more accurate bending on the repeated notes at the phrase beginning and then a quick walk up the neck to a higher final note. At least that’s one idea. Keep it up, you’re on the right track, IMHO!
Here is my attempt at the solo to Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now”. There are things that I wish I can do like the raking. I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to improve. I was also wondering how I can improve on the tone.
Sam, I couldn’t see the video. Did you mark it as PRIVATE? If so, change it to PUBLIC so we can see it here.
Sorry, I forgot. It’s public now, thanks!
Really nice solo.
Thanks for sharing! I like how you vibing a little with whole body. ![]()
Really tastefully constructed melodic solo Sammy. Some nice changes of rhythm feel included in it.
The only feedback I can think of is to add a bit of vibrato here and there.
For “Don’t stop me now”, the tone is tricky because BM’s Red Special is pretty non standard! You were using the Strat bridge pickup - you could maybe try swapping to the neck pickup and adding a bit more fuzz to see if that gets you closer?
Welcome to the Community Sam.
Enjoyed both your shares. Liked the tones and your play seemed pretty fluent to me. Above my playgrade to make suggestions.
Why not pop over here and introduce yourself, not mandatory, but always appreciated. You can share a little personal background, guitar history, and goals you have Community Hub > Introduce yourself ...