My first jam in 30 years!

Had a great jam session on Saturday evening with another musician.
First time I’ve played alongside anyone since my early 20’s.
I was a bit apprehensive to be honest but it was a great experience.
We took turns with rhythm and lead and improvisation over popular songs.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time memorising the intervals within all the major, minor and pentatonic patterns I use lately and can name the interval on each pattern quite quickly but in the heat of the moment that all goes out of the window!
I ended up using more intuitive methods with pentatonic shapes and grabbing chord tones with CAGED shapes.
Anyone else find it difficult to think and play at the same time?

6 Likes

Hi Jason, yes playing guitar with another is a lot of fun. As to your question, the answer is yes, all the time. It must become intuitive otherwise it does not flow. And as we all know that takes time, lots of time.

I’m glad you had a great jam session with someone Jason. You kind of get sick of playing with yourself after so long.

Hello Jason, although I’m still a beginner and far away from even thinking of jamming with others, I wanted to congratulate you on that great experience. It sounds like a lot of fun :smiley:.

1 Like

That’s awesome :slight_smile:
I’m hoping for the same in 2023 :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely, really you need to be on Autopilot to get it right - you only get there by doing it and perfecting it!
The biggest tip I can give is to learn a bit at a time, then gradually expand it. You need to be conversant enough to not think about it and just doing it, this is a skill that’s very important for players who are session musicians!

1 Like

Thank you Nicole
All the best with your endeavours on the guitar. Learning can be frustrating but so rewarding.
Keep us posted on your progress. There are so many helpful people on here if you have any questions.

1 Like