My First Jazz Standard - Autumn Leaves

I have started working through the Hal Leonard book called “First 50 Jazz Standards You Should Play on Guitar”. My guitar teacher suggested I tackle this one first… and man, it took a lot of work to get there, and it is still a little rough, but progress is being made!

18 Likes

Wow, this sounds great and you make it look easy.

How long did it take you to learn the whole song? Did you learn all of it from the book or did you learn it from your teacher?

Very well done!

That is a complex question :slight_smile: I will say this… I have been playing the song for about a year now, but many days it might be only 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Learning the actual song maybe took a month or two (I can’t remember any more!), but I needed to put in a lot of work to get some of the chord changes down. One change in particular took me a couple of months before I could do it reliably. So maybe not long to learn the song but a lot of time for it to feel comfortable and a bit more fluid.

I am primarily learning it from the tabs in the book. I will play it for my teacher every-so-often and he will make small suggestions, make sure my timing is OK, or correct small mistakes he sees. There may have been one chord he changed in the song to make it a little easier to play.

1 Like

Enjoyed this Damien, it is totally different to the way I play it, like it, what Jazz is all about. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Damien
I loved it this way :clap: :sunglasses:
You send me back into the rehearsal room … I never finished this one properly … busy busy busy :roll_eyes:
Greetings and thanks.

1 Like

Very Nice.

1 Like

I loved it! Very very nicely played. Yes, a bit rough in places, but it’ll be exactly as you want it in no time.

I also have Hal Leonard’s First 50 Jazz Standards book, I was reading along with the tab as you played. It was one of those books I bought and learned no songs from lol. I’ve got too many other guitar things on the go right now so I can’t get back to this just yet, but eventually. I love Autumn Leaves, but All of Me is the first one I’d like to learn. It’s too bad the book doesn’t come with audio clips. However, if you learn them and post them I can use you for my audio clips!! That sounds like a good plan to me - so do you want to learn All of Me? (Lol)

Have fun playing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha, I am currently working on Georgia on my Mind, but plan on starting another one soon. Maybe I will do All of Me, but you might be waiting a while before I have something to record :slight_smile:

I agree though, I also really wish they would have included recordings of the songs to see how they are intended to be played… it would be a nice addition. That might actually be a good digital product for someone who was better than me… I would pay extra for the audio to go along with those.

1 Like

Nice French song well played!

1 Like

One of my favourite jazz standards of all time. Thank you very much for sharing!

PS:
I played your track on repeat for about 5 times and used it as a backing track to jam over some “pseudo-jazz” licks.

1 Like

Cool! It would be nice to meet someone locally like you to do some jazz jamming with!

1 Like

impressive!!!

1 Like

Bravo Damien :exclamation:Well done :exclamation:

@toesalad do you use Guitar Pro? It struck me this morning that putting the tab into GP would give a reasonable audio file to assist with learning. GP playbacks are a bit lifeless, so the dynamics would be up to you, but I think that might be a good starting point.

1 Like

Workign through a song like that expands your personal “chord library” and love+hate for grips beyond imagination!

Respect for the courage and sticking with it!

About that, the grips are going well but the rhythm needs a bit of work to feel comfortable to follow by the listener

Don’t get me wrong, that’s a lot of work behind you already and you’re doing great!
I think you tackled the hardest part already and you just need to smoothen it out, that’s all.

If I was practicing this, I would go for a slower backing track, and work a bit of the delivery of these chords, smoothening some transitions while laying in a bit of subtleties that can be sped up later.
(dynamics, a bit slower rakes of the chords for that jazzier feel etc). This you can only practice with slowing it down first because it is a lot of chords in a shot amount of time :wink:

1 Like

That is a great suggestion @Mari63 … I do have Guitar Pro, that might be a good idea. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @LievenDV, I appreciate it. I usually aways practice at a tempo 10 - 20bpm slower than what I recorded in that video for those precise reasons you mention. I will occasionally attempt to play it at the 90bpm tempo in this video to see how things are going.

1 Like

Damien, that was superb. Great sound and it looks very complicated but you made it look easy.

1 Like