My funny valentine, Jazz Standard

Hi!

I have been a Justin guitar student for two years now. I play guitar for more then ten years in total, but I think I made more progress in the last two years then in all the rest combined. So thanks a lot to Justin ans his team!

I am promising myself since forever to record myself and I finally did it :sweat_smile: I donā€™t have an amp, just a little ā€œheadphone-ampā€ (I donā€™t know the proper name), that I plugged into our little box. So the tone is probably really badā€¦ sorry for that. I recorded the jazz standard my funny valentine, as played by Paul Davis.

Any way, I would really appreciate your feedback and constructive critic. Thanks a lot in advance!

Here is the link: My funny Valentine - YouTube (I hope it works, I out the settings on private for the video)

Regards,
Kevin

10 Likes

I beginner too, but it sounded real good to me.

Some delicious chords there Kevin. Your tone is good.

Like a smooth bit of Jazz, well played, I enjoyed that and some nice chords. :grinning:

What a wonderful first post, Kevin. We donā€™t hear too many jazz standards here, a treat when we do. Your recording is ear and eye candy. The tone sounded good to me, the clean warm sound that I associate with such music. Then I get absorbed by watching both your hands, the chord shapes, the movement, the picking.

I suggest you pop over to #community-hub:introduce-yourself and share a little bit more personal background, guitar history, and goals as a member of the Community. We do like getting to know each other better in our Community.

Look forward to more recordings from you.

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Kevin.

That was really great and I loved the tone on the guitar, it went really well with the song and they style you were playing it in.

Iā€™m looking forward to hear more from you.

Hi Kevin,
That is a pleasant 1st video :sunglasses: :clap:ā€¦ beautifully played, fun to watch and listen toā€¦ and clearly some years of experienceā€¦Bis Bis Bis :clap: :clap: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

Very nice Kevin thank you and congrats on your first video share!

Jazz isnā€™t a genre I know anything about really beyond just itā€™s style but that sounded suitably smooth and chilled, Iā€™ll certainly look out for more from you to educate me further!

The guitar tone came over really nicely so however you were running that through the ā€œheadphone ampā€ to the recording keep it there!
:clap:

Delightful, mellow, performance. Did us proud there, Kevin. I do get drawn to learning jazz chords now and again. Itā€™s such a great genre. That was one of the songs my sister used to sing in a pub in the Old Kent Road, London, when I was a spotty, teenager.

Hello Everybody!

Well, this is very nice from all of you :slight_smile: I am happy you liked it and will introduce myself as David Suggested in the Introduce-Yourself hub.

So if this is okay, I will continue to post some Jazz - Tunes from time to time :wink: right now I got 3 done and look forward to learn more of them in Grade 6 of Justins wonderful course.

Have a great day everybody!

1 Like

More then ok!

That is really beautiful. Well played and loved the touch at the end. I am looking forward to more posts.

Is it possible, that I happened to stumble across the one place on the internet, where people are actually really nice to each other? :smile:

Well, this all really helps a lot. I lately felt a bit demotivated to practice, and thought using the forum a bit would help me, and it sure really does! Cheers, Kevin

1 Like

A jazz standard that devoid of all the usual chaotic razzmatazz and instantly recognizable, Iā€™ll have some of that. Some tricky chords there Kevin, well applied and sounding good.
Your time has been well spent, great share. And Iā€™d add a welcome as well.

:sunglasses:

Oh yes, look forward to it

Canā€™t say if it is ā€˜the one placeā€™ but it certainly is ā€˜a placeā€™.

We strive to be encouraging and supportive of each other, accepting help from each other and giving help to others in equal measures.

That sounds great! Really happy, that I not only found Justin but also his community :wink:

By the way, how can I post a video in a way that is directly in the topic? I managed only to add a Youtube linkā€¦

Kevin Just post the video link address directly into the post you are creating. Discourse automatically embeds it.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow, how beautiful. I havenā€™t heard much jazz, aside from one time I was at a public parklands and a jazz quartet was playing. And a couple of videos Iā€™ve watched here.

Really great listening, wonderful sound.

I am curious on the tone, itā€™s so good. What were the effects?

That was very well played Kevin. Congrats on your first video share! Similar to @Notter jazz isnā€™t a genre I knew anything about until I joined this community and heard a couple of @robert.c.1984 AVOYPs. So thank you for indulging me in some more jazz standards. Look forward to hearing more from you.

cool!
I just checked Robert out - that is some serious stuff over there, wow!

1 Like