My hardest ever live solo - Final Countdown

My hardest ever live solo - Final Countdown…

Hi guys, I recorded last nights gig of the mixer and this is a capture of me performing “The Final Countdown” solo section live for the first time ever… hope you’ll enjoy a bit of 80s nostalgiatia here:

It’s an important recording for me because I never thought I would be able be shred like this in a live a situation before this. I’m very, very happy with this live performance!!

Cheers,
Kasper

19 Likes

That’s impressive Kaspar. How long have you been playing? I am getting on for 4 years into my ‘journey’ and although I have improved steadily with Rhythm my fingers just will not move on the fretboard anywhere near fast enough for lead playing, let alone full on shredding!! Maybe I have my age against me (I am 59) but hey, keep on rocking buddy.

1 Like

That was awesome Kasper. Pulling it off live must have felt insanely good! Aspirational.

1 Like

Not going to lie, I’m proud of this performance. It’s the result of dedicated practice, like what Justin is teaching…

1 Like

Holy cow that was out of this world!

1 Like

That was amazing, :scream: :scream: :sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing:

I wonder what I will hear in March… This song in a performance by an amateur accordion orchestra and a hired guitar player (my expectations are moderately positive)… I hope he can get this out of his guitar and I get to see something like this live from 10 meters away :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

Kasper, you get better and better.
Dedicated practice is the golden ticket to achievement of this kind.
Bravo.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow wow wow. !! Fantastic stuff. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks! I was actually quite nervous about performing this song - because it’s a very difficult solo, and I knew that if I messed it up… everyone would hear it. It’s such a signature solo. And you can hear there are definitely some small mistakes in this performance as well, but all in all… it worked in a live situation, and no-one seemed to notice. In the end, that’s all that matters :wink:

1 Like

To “nerd out a bit”… what makes this solo hard is not only the speed, but more so the timing of the licks in the two fast sections. It’s basically some two-string sweep arpeggios; A minor, B dim, C major, F major. (we play it one full tone down from the original)

But the timing is very difficult! Each repetition of the triad arpeggio is played as a 16th note on b string, another 16th note on the e string… then pick + pull-off on e string for 2 x 32th notes. So in total, one repeat of the arpeggio is three 16th notes.

Each triad is then played 5 times (in itself difficult to feel, we tend to think and feel in fours in music) in a bar, for a total of 15 16th notes… and a final 16th note is then picked on b string to “connect” the line to the next triad and to fill out the bar. This is hell to feel, and it’s way too fast to count. So that’s where the majority of the practice comes in. And once you’re thrown off count, at that tempo, it’s almost impossible to come back on track… Probably lost most people with this explanation, sorry :wink:

1 Like

Hi Kasper, That was assume thanks for sharing for somebody that gets nervous just plying Infront of one other person cannot know how you must have been feeling then to nail the solo brilliant so pleased for you. :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Hi Kasper,
Nice, very profesioinal and well done. Good to hear you overcame the nerves on this one and were able to perform as we have come to know. All elements of your band sounded good, but your solo stood out as special to me.

I have asked for years for you to grab some live band stuff. You finally did and thanks so much for doing so! Great sounding mix and all, very pleasing to the ears!

I for one would not mind hearing more “mixer grabs” of what you guys do. I hope it comes to pass and be well,
LB

1 Like

Holy crap! (in a good way!)

1 Like

Wow, simply wow :astonished::fire::metal::fire:!!

1 Like

That was brilliant, Kasper and to took me right back to my day’s as a youth and messaging around with my motorbike and going off partying with my mates. :+1:

What a achievement for you as well, surely now you’ll never say never.

1 Like