My live debut

Ok, long post alert, but I am hoping that this will be an inspiration to all of you who are just starting out on guitar, especially those of you who have started later in life and might feel that you have left it too late to learn. Four years ago, at the age of 55 I decided to learn to play guitar, something that I had wanted to do for years. Of course I had a dream of playing in a band but thought that I had left it way too late for that and set myself a goal of taking it as far as I could. For 3 years I just played on my own, learning from justinguitar and skype sessions with a friend of mine who plays and teaches. Then, around May last year I got my first opportunity to jam with my friend/ skype teacher in person, the first time that I had played with another person. He mentioned that I really ought to think about playing with other people on a regular basis, but living in a rural village I didn’t know how to go about this. Just after that I saw a post on my local FB community group for a music group that was starting up in the village, any instruments, all abilities and ages welcome so I joined that. Playing with others has really brought my playing on and last night I played on stage with the group to an audience for the first time as part of a band night that we were hosting. I was quite nervous, especially as I had to play the start of ‘Dakota’ on my own before the rest of the band came in. The nerves soon turned to adrenaline and I loved it, a great milestone in my guitar journey. Here are some video’s of the occasion, I am far left.

20 Likes

Malcolm @laser_171825
Well done, there is nothing like your first gig.is there.
Michael :guitar:

1 Like

Very cool Malcolm, congrats !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great stuff! Congratulations :grinning::guitar:

1 Like

Well done. Great buzz isn’t it. Hopefully this will be the first of many gigs.

1 Like

Congrats, Malcolm. Wonderful opportunity you have and the songs sounded great.

1 Like

Congrats, Malcom! :clap:t3:

1 Like

Congrats Malcom :balloon: :notes: :balloon: How lucky you are getting to play with other people. Hopefully there will be many more gigs :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats on your live debut, Malcom! :smiley: :partying_face:

That’s great and it’s so cool to see you found some people to make music with and have lots of fun. Wish you and your band mates many more gigs to come! Sounded good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Malcolm,
:sunglasses: :partying_face: :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

That is such a cool thing to be happening in your village.
Great result too,
Hope you and your friends have many more gigs!

1 Like

Congratulations. It just shows what can be achieved.

1 Like

Hope you enjoyed a proper dose of adrenaline :wink:
On a more serious note, you seemed to be very confident. Congratulations, Malcolm!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the comments. My music group are planning on repeating this event on the first Friday of every month so hopefully this will be the first of many gigs for us.

The comment made that I look confident, I am not naturally a confident person but I was determined to try and get over the inevitable nerves and enjoy the experience and I think that I succeeded in that.

2 Likes

Nice one Malcolm! I can’t imagine what it must feel like.

1 Like