My new guitar - Baby Taylor

Almost 6 months into this 3rd attempt to play guitar. I impulse bought Ziggy, my Tanglewood Winterleaf (instead of a bottle of milk for work!) in March. I discovered Justin and am so happy to be progressing this time albeit slowly. It’s thanks to Justin and this time buying a half decent guitar and one that fits my tiny frame and hands better. I absolutely love Ziggy but now I have a Taylor Baby too. Bought for my 64th birthday from my very encouraging and supportive other half. The new one is even easier to play, I rarely duff up that D chord on this one! The sound is fuller and (beware neighbours!!) I can plug in!

I love them both and now I’ve retired I shall be playing and playing and playing! :guitar::notes::guitar::sunglasses::blush:
Toni

11 Likes

Hi Toni,
Happy NGD :partying_face:

I wish you a lot of time and fun together,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Happy NGD, Toni.
A good friend once told me ‘You can’t go wrong with a Taylor’.
Here’s to many years of enjoyment :champagne:

1 Like

Hey Toni, great to have another one in the forums. Congratulations on the new Taylor, I’ve owned several Taylors, they are fine guitars.

1 Like

Hi Toni, Happy NGD… it looks fantastic… wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

1 Like

Happy NGD! I love your story of going out to buy milk and come back with a guitar as I read your first post a few month ago! Say hello to Ziggy and have a lot of fun with your new baby!

1 Like

Thank you Helen and I will say hello to Ziggy, I hate to think he feels pushed out! I’ve got a lot to thank him for :blush:

Yes, the soul of a guitar… be gentle and give him some attentiveness from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did have a plink with him this morning. I’ll always keep him and shall strum from time to time. Thought about wall mounting him but I’ll probably just let him loiter about as usual :blush:

1 Like

Ziggy might like some heavier strings and a nice down tune. Then you have another option that is different.

Have fun! I didn’t bond with Taylors at the beginning, but the few I have touched lately have been very nice. Good thing I don’t need another guitar.

I don’t need another guitar…

1 Like

No, you don’t NEED another guitar for sure. But there might be a lot of reasons to buy another one. Same with skis, you always need another one for different conditions. You simply can’t own enough skis :wink:

He might! But what does down tune mean? Which strings are heavier?
The Taylor is easier to fret without buzz or mutes and my chord changes are slightly less tortoise like. I’m also looking forward to getting an amp for him. But as I improve I’m sure I’ll be able to play Ziggy better and it’s great to have options! So exciting! Hmm maybe you need another option… :wink: How many guitars do you have?

Happy NGD, very nice! TBH I think that they are one of the best acoustic guitars for a beginner, they are definitely easier to play than most and sound bigger than they look.
Ziggy could always be used for alternate tuning, maybe DADGAD, there’s lots of nice songs in that tuning including Ed Sheeran and LED Zep (notably Kashmir).

1 Like

Justin has a video on alternative tunings. That will point you in the right direction.

Heavier strings might be 12s or 13s, depending on what you use now.

If you dropped every string down one tone from EADGBE you also lower the tension, so you might want or like to use heavier strings. You don’t have to though.

I haven’t really played with alternative tunings, but they sound great and you will eventually find songs you want to play that are not in standard tuning.

You have a spare guitar, so you could set it up for those occasions and then you don’t have to change the baby’s tuning just for the moment.

Maybe someday anyway. I am not there yet either.

1 Like

I might well do that to Ziggy, thanks. As I say I shall definitely keep him. The Baby is undoubtedly easier, but when I was contemplating trying to learn again, I very nearly bought a cheap (and probably nasty) acoustic online from China. The idea being if I couldn’t do it yet again I hadn’t spent much. But that’s partly where I went wrong in those first couple of attempts, I bought terrible guitars! Anyway, thankfully I went to buy that milk and Ziggy and me were meant to be. And then Justin came to join us :blush:

1 Like

Happy NGD, Toni. A lovely one to be playing, playing and playing. :slight_smile:

1 Like