My own little song bookw

Oh, man! I love this place more everyday! I am finally past the jump, jump, jumper stage (beginner problems), and I have created my own curated book of songs based upon my preferences that I practice daily :grinning: My intent is to learn these songs backwards and forward until they become rote or super easy, including seamless chord changes, strumming patterns and singing. I still have my eyes on some others; however, I am content with these for now. I still need to find a song I like to practice D minor (suggestions welcomed based on my preferences), but anyway, here is my little song book :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (finger pain is finally GONE…yes, in deed!)

1. Drivin My Life Away - Eddie Rabbitt
  2. Jambalaya - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  3. El Paso - Marty Robbins
  4. Lay down Sally - Eric Clapton
  5. That’s Alright Lil’ Mama - Elvis
  6. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett :grin:
  7. I’d Rather Go Blind - Etta James
  8. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
  9. The Wanderer - Dion
13 Likes

That’s the way. Get a list of songs and play them over, and over, and over…

1 Like

That’s a great list of songs. Learn those and you will be well on the way in your journey.

1 Like

I had trouble finding any Dm songs I was interested in until I learned the F chord - I just needed to learn enough to get to other keys (C, primarily), then, suddenly Dm started showing up more often in things I was interested in playing. So definitely practice Dm, but I wouldn’t stress too much if you’re not loving any of the grade 1 songs that use it…you’ll have lots more options soon :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, jkahn!

Thank you, TonyHS!!!

Thank you, southpaw6! I am looking forward to it! I am struggling with the C chord right now. I found JG’s “hack the G chord” video, but there aren’t any to hack the C chord. I will definitely have “spidey fingers” after I get it down. It’s a doozy!

Uhhh, yah! I spoke too soon! Finger “tingling” comes back as one learns new chords. It’s nowhere near the level of discomfort one feels at the very beginning of pressing on hard steel strings; however, different chords require different finger placement, so your fingers can get sore again in different areas (C chord is whippin me good).

I am happy to say that I can now play one of my tunes without looking at notes (Margaritaville :grinning: )… that’s probably because that’s the one I practice the most. The hardest part of learning to play is sticking to it. Once it becomes routine, it’s all uphill from there :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: