My own little song bookw

Oh, man! I love this place more everyday! I am finally past the jump, jump, jumper stage (beginner problems), and I have created my own curated book of songs based upon my preferences that I practice daily :grinning: My intent is to learn these songs backwards and forward until they become rote or super easy, including seamless chord changes, strumming patterns and singing. I still have my eyes on some others; however, I am content with these for now. I still need to find a song I like to practice D minor (suggestions welcomed based on my preferences), but anyway, here is my little song book :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (finger pain is finally GONEā€¦yes, in deed!)

1. Drivin My Life Away - Eddie Rabbitt
  2. Jambalaya - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  3. El Paso - Marty Robbins
  4. Lay down Sally - Eric Clapton
  5. Thatā€™s Alright Lilā€™ Mama - Elvis
  6. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett :grin:
  7. Iā€™d Rather Go Blind - Etta James
  8. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
  9. The Wanderer - Dion
14 Likes

Thatā€™s the way. Get a list of songs and play them over, and over, and overā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great list of songs. Learn those and you will be well on the way in your journey.

1 Like

I had trouble finding any Dm songs I was interested in until I learned the F chord - I just needed to learn enough to get to other keys (C, primarily), then, suddenly Dm started showing up more often in things I was interested in playing. So definitely practice Dm, but I wouldnā€™t stress too much if youā€™re not loving any of the grade 1 songs that use itā€¦youā€™ll have lots more options soon :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, jkahn!

Thank you, TonyHS!!!

Thank you, southpaw6! I am looking forward to it! I am struggling with the C chord right now. I found JGā€™s ā€œhack the G chordā€ video, but there arenā€™t any to hack the C chord. I will definitely have ā€œspidey fingersā€ after I get it down. Itā€™s a doozy!

Uhhh, yah! I spoke too soon! Finger ā€œtinglingā€ comes back as one learns new chords. Itā€™s nowhere near the level of discomfort one feels at the very beginning of pressing on hard steel strings; however, different chords require different finger placement, so your fingers can get sore again in different areas (C chord is whippin me good).

I am happy to say that I can now play one of my tunes without looking at notes (Margaritaville :grinning: )ā€¦ thatā€™s probably because thatā€™s the one I practice the most. The hardest part of learning to play is sticking to it. Once it becomes routine, itā€™s all uphill from there :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: