My video of infirmary blues

Working now, my YouTube video of st James infirmary blues.

4 Likes

That’s done the trick, Jane. Good on you for persisting, figuring it out, and sharing a first recording.

You are now on your way. All I’d suggest having watched the recording is slow your tempo down so you can keep a steady rhythm strumming and make your chord changes. As you get to grips with chord shapes and changes it doesn’t matter how fast you strum, just try to get the hesitations out … which are inevitable when you start.

Another suggestion is to strum once per bar. Strum on a count of one, then as you count two, three, four, you make the chord change in time to strum on the next one. Keep the count steady.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Good start Jane. Vibes from me for posting your first AVoYP. David has said what I’d have said. Stick in there and I look forward to following your progress.

1 Like

Good on you Jane for persisting, that quality is an asset. Congratulations too for posting your first video. I agree with @DavidP David’s comments about slowing down. Spend some time with One Minute Changes (OMC) that will make a difference too. I’m looking forward to seeing you progress.

1 Like

Good job! May I suggest to hold the phone horizontally while filming?

I’d also suggest to play along to a recording, here is one in Am: ST JAMES INFIRMARY La mineur (Am) [BACKING TRACK] - YouTube

As David suggested one strum per bar/chord. Each time the red line in this backing track appears under the chord, one strum (down).
Thus you’ll develop a rhythmic feel. When that goes well two strums.

1 Like

Thanks, will try that.

1 Like

Congrats on your fits post Jane.

Instantly recognisable a SJIBs so well done. Lots of sage advice already given, so nothing extra to add here. With patience and persistence you get there but off to a good start by posting here !

:sunglasses:

Many thanks.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP post. That’s a huge step that you should be proud of accomplishing.

It’s always difficult when it’s a song that you’ve never heard. That’s one of the good things about this course and community, it exposes you to new music that you may have never come across otherwise. One thing that I found very helpful is that Justin has Spotify playlist for the songs recommended in each module and for each song book. You can find the links to Spotify on the website.

You have a lot of good advice given above. Look forward to following your progress.

Nicely done Jane! I will echo David’s advice. I always play songs to a metronome when learning them & start them slow enough that I can get the rhythm good and proper. As I become proficient at a tempo I up it until at song speed. It feels like a bind at first but I find it really makes the learning process easier.

Hello,
Good job on St James Infirmary Blues. Your video has inspired me to have a go. :grinning:

That’s great. Thanks for letting me know. I’m sure you will do great.

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Jane and nicely done.

Some great advice already given, so I’ve nothing more to add. I’m looking forward to seeing how you progress.