NBD - Epiphone EB-3

NBD as in new bass day. I have been toying with the idea of getting a bass for some time, but in the past month I got more and more convinced that it’s worth giving it a try.

The store where I bought most of my guitars has recently opened a space specializing in used guitars, basses, amps and pedals. I paid them a visit a few weeks ago and tried a few basses (see this post in my learning log) and had a feeling that it would not be impossible to get something out of one.

So today I made the big decision and bought this used cherry red Epiphone EB-3 along with the soft case under it:

It’s an interesting trivia that the original Gibson EB-3 (used by Jack Bruce, John Entwistle and Bill Wyman among others) was a short-scale (30.5") bass, but this is a full-scale one (34").

It’s a little head-heavy but otherwise pretty comfortable to play. My bass technique is pretty nonexistent as of now, but this bass sounds quite nice whether I pluck the strings with my fingers or use a pick.

I still need to get a dedicated bass amp. Until then, I use it with my guitar amp without cranking the volume up. I guess a bass amp will be a bit sturdier with a larger speaker so the lowest notes will also be clear. However, when I played with a higher gain on my guitar amp, it sounded almost like Bruce on live Cream recordings. I tried it with the auto-wah and I managed to get some madcap sounds out of it like in this song.

I was recommended the Boss Katana 110 amp which is a combo modeling amp that can also be used as an audio interface for recording. With 16 kilos it looks a bit heavy so if I buy one it will need a dedicated spot somewhere in the flat. I also want to buy a wider strap, preferably one that doesn’t slip easily on my clothes.

So it’s fun time again :smiley:

9 Likes

Hi József ,
Happy NBD :partying_face: :sunglasses: Sweet body

Greetings

1 Like

What a looker, József! :star_struck: Happy NBD! :partying_face:

Wish you lots of fun exploring bass territory. :smiley:

1 Like

Great looking bass!
Let me recommend this Lekato strap.
Amazon.com: LEKATO Guitar Strap, Bass Straps for Electric Guitar with 3.3" Wide Sponge Pad for Effective Decompression Padded Bass Guitar Straps Adjustable Length from 42" to 58" with 2 Safety Locks & 6 Picks : Musical Instruments
I use them for my heavy guitars and the weight is nicely distributed.

1 Like

Nice Bass, I quite like that one myself but got a better deal on my Cort bass!
If weight and size is a problem for you, the Markbass amps are very good - compact and light plus great reviews.
https://www.markbass.it/bass-amplifiers/ba-combos/

1 Like

Loving that Jozef. Happy NGD. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice! Can’t go wrong following in the footsteps of those bass players! Very glad you know not to turn up the volume on your guitar amp, too. My husband bought a Fender Rumble 25 which he likes, but I don’t believe it’s got any recording interface capabilities. As far as I know you can’t go wrong with the Katana, I know I love my guitar version.

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words and recommendations :slight_smile: I’ll definitely check that strap out. In the past 3 days I’ve been playing only this bass so my fingertips feel a little sore. Feels like old times :smiley:

I figured it would be better to have some structure to my bass learning as well, so I registered on TalkingBass which is a website somewhat like Justinguitar but for bass. There is quite a lot of content (various styles, music theory, sight reading, etc.), both free and paid. I think I’ll buy their starter pack and see where it takes me. Luckily, Justin’s PMT course covers a lot of ground so that’s already a little headstart for me.

Hey, thanks for mentioning this, my bass playing husband hadn’t heard of this one and is registering for it as we speak. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear he likes it. I found so many YouTube channels focusing on bass, but this one seemed the closest to what Justin has been doing. I especially like the structure of the courses which is much like the guitar course over on the website.

1 Like