Need help in buying an amp

So, I’m thinking about getting the Lirevo Fullstar 80. It’s an 80w solid state amp with 12" Celestion speakers. If I play with a drummer will I be able to keep up with the drummer. The reason I picked this amp is because it’s a modelling amp so it’s got various amps and cabs and 8 effects ( Flanger, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, Tremolo, Phaser, Echo and Spring ).
So will this amp be enough.

1 Like

I don’t know the facts.
But I do have a 80W solid state amp. When turned up, the cuffs of my pants will move due to the speaker moving air.

I suspect your amp will be loud enough.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

fwiw, wattage doesn’t tell the entire story when it comes to an amp’s loudness. There are other factors involved. Not all of which are things you can tell from looking at a spec list.

This is a fairly concise rundown of why.

Why Wattage Isn’t Everything: Understanding Amplifier Loudness Myths - Blackstar

The other thing to keep in mind is that your additional factors outside of your equipment include the drummer and their gear. is the drummer using an electronic kit? acoustic kit? is your “drummer” using stuff like congas/cajon/other “softer” types of percussion?

Also the type of music you’re playing. If you’re playing a loud and energetic style of music and the drummer is really getting after it, you’re going to need more amp pushing more air than you would if you were playing more chill folk music with softer percussion.

also the space you’re playing. a pub environment? smaller venue with an actual stage? larger venue? outdoors? is there a sound system at the venue? what sort? will your amp be mic’d up? will the drummer be mic’d?

are you just jamming together at someone’s house?

2 Likes

Thankyou, so my drummer uses an acoustic drumkit, but he hasn’t purchased it yet. We are going to play mostly rock maybe blues in his house. And even if we play gigs it will mostly be at our school.
And so basically watts are witchcraft that no one understands.

playing in someone’s house, your volume requirements won’t be so high. you should be fine there. you’ll need ear protection, tbh.

if you play in front of an audience at school, then the equation changes. But you might also have access to a PA system of some sort and you can use that to make up for a lot. Maybe you won’t have access to something like that but most schools have access to that kind of stuff.

That is one of those scenarios where you just make the stuff you have work the best you can. Until you know the exact space where you’ll be playing and whether the venue has additional equipment it can provide, you’re not going to know if what you have will work. Sometimes you have to try it first and learn from the experience.

1 Like

They’re mainly just misused by marketing people.

Watts are a unit of power. In this case, electrical power. Knowing how much electrical power the amp uses doesn’t tell you how well the amp converts that power to sound.

As a close analogy, an 80 Watt old school filament lamp is dimmer than an 80 Watt halogen lamp, and a modern LED bulb can give as much light as an old 80 W filament bulb whilst only consuming around 14W.

In the case of guitar amps, absolute loudness isn’t the only factor, and many designs forgo efficiency in favour of tone.

But wattage can give an approximate idea of the range of loudness you’ll get from an amp.

As @Mustela notes, an 80 W amp of any type is probably too loud for home use if you crank it. A 50 W Katana can keep up with a drummer in a studio setting. An 80 Watt tube amp.will probably make your ears bleed with the volume halfway up…

Clearly, you don’t have to crank it, and solid state/modelling amps tend to work better at low volumes. This amp should work fine for you.

If you already have it, use it. If you were considering a purchase, it should work, but don’t think you will need 80 W, you can probably get away with 50 W.

Especially if there’s a PA.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Yep,

when we play live, i use a 40W line6 amp. And that’s with a drummer, bass player, saxofone player, 2 guitar players and a trumpet player.
On our latest gig, i was asked to turn it down a bit… I came out too loud. So 40W can do it too.
For perspective, i have a 15W tube amp at home. (with buit in attenuator) and that never gets above 2-3 on the volume…
So, as @Majik says, it can go several ways…

1 Like

So, I’m thinking of purchasing from the procraft website and the amp variety is not the best. What are the requirements I may need in general in an amp.
I play rock, metal with a little bit of blues here and there. I want to play in a band with my friends a drummer a bassist and maybe 2 guitarist including me but if my friend and I can’t play with anyone else it will be just the two of us he’ll play the (acoustic) drums and I’ll play guitar. So, what main requirements will I need in an amp. Also I mainly want a modelling amp. And also the company that makes the amp I want also makes the same amp but with 30w

P.s thank you all for replying and helping me

I’ve never heard of that particular amp before, so I have no idea if it’s any good.

But, in general, if you want a modelling amp I would look for 40 W upwards if you are playing with a drummer with an acoustic kit, and I would also aim for something with a decent sized cabinet and a 12 in speaker.

A good cabinet and speaker makes a big difference.

After that, I think it’s down to personal preference and budget.

Pretty much all modelling amps will do what you want. It boils more down to whether you like how they sound, and the controls (app Vs physical controls, menus on the device, etc.)

Boss Katanas are very popular, and you can often get good second hand deals on the 50W or 100W version (you don’t need 100W but the Katana 100 has better features).

On the other hand, some people don’t enjoy the Katana sound, so you may want to audition one before you buy. The same applies to every guitar amp really.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I agree with what @Majik said.
Further, the brand you mentioned does not appear to be super well known. I did some searching and there is just not a lot out there. If you tried it in a store and liked it that would be one thing, but if you are buying from a website site unseen, I would stick with a well known brand with a good reputation (like the Boss Katana).

Since I live in India the boss katana 50 costs anywhere from 35-40k, way out of my budget😅.
So I have to consider cheaper amps which results in the variety of amps being very poor.
Thank you all for your helping me.
I fervently wish that your day unfolds with splendid occurrences and abundant delight.

1 Like

I have an Orange Crush RT20 that I really like. It has a built in tuner. They make the same amp without the built in tuner that cost less. It is about half the cost of the. Boss Katana. Granted it is only 20 watts compared the 50 watts of the Boss but it is plenty loud. I would not turn it to full volume without hearing protection.

1 Like