Need help with looping!

Hey guys as you know i post alot in the Avoyp and i wanna get into perfoming with a amp/looper. I have a cube street amp and was wondering if you think i could get a looper for it to and perform my rhythm/singing and lead and such. If so what would i need to get?

I would suggest you need one of the more advanced loopers which supports multiple tracks and a mic input.

Something like the Boss RC-500 might be worth looking at, although there’s a fair number of options in this area depending on how many tracks you want, onboard routing and mixing, and whether you want onboard drum tracks or effects.

For simple stuff, you could get away with a simple single-track looper and a mixer, but for performance with guitar and vocals it would be very limiting. Most of the well-known artists who use loopers for guitar and vocals have at least 2 track loopers for good reason (KT being the main exception)

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi Byron,
I just now understand the difference between my Ditto x2 looper and Trio-band Creator + looper and a multi-track looper … So Byron, the advice is not to buy, for example, a Ditto x2 … … hopefully it will be clear to you at once … I needed a moment or two :relaxed:… and if it is not useful what I type, then I will delete my post @Majik …
Greetings

I’ll qualify a bit here: it depends, of course, on how you want to use a looper for live performances. If you just want to lay down some percussion, which is mostly how KT Tunstall uses her looper, which can run through the whole song then a simple looper pedal is fine. Note that KT’s pedalboard setup to support how she does her songs is rather complex.

If you want to lay down, for instance, a guitar rhythm part and then play something else over the top, then a simple looper will restrict you to a single chord sequence, which is going to narrow your choice of songs. A two (or more) track looper will give you a lot more flexibility such as being able to record separate loops for verse and chorus.

Another use of a looper, by the way, is to use it for backing tracks as, with some loopers (e.g. the Boss RC-3), you can download and store pre-recorded loops into memory slots.

The Trio+ Band Creator is a different prospect, as that can build backings for you. It also, potentially, has multiple song parts. But, personally, I don’t think trying to build a multi-part song on the Trio+ as part of a live performance is going to be easy, as it involves a fair bit of tweaking and other setup to get the song parts into the looper and sequenced correctly.

But, if you are considering a looper as part of a setup for live performances, I would definitely look at a two track (or more) looper as I think that would give you a bunch more flexibility.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Agree 100% if you want to build it up as part of the performance as many looping guitarists do.
But they can easily be pre-programmed with a backing track to your liking to use in a live performance situation. @Rossco01 does this very effectively and I have fun with it sometimes in my mobile phone recordings :smiley:

I bought the ditto x2 mainly because the reviews of single button loopers complained about how hard they were to get used to. I took to the x2 quite easily and it’s helped me work out riffs that I wasn’t sure if my timing was good or not because I could lay down the backing track easily and then just play the riff with the backing track going.

Don’t have any experience with the fancier loopers mentioned so no idea about how it compares.

Sweet thanks guys for the replys! Ill def have to check it out!! So who is good at doing loopers? So i can look them up on youtube!! :slight_smile:

Hmm i jsut checked out the Lekato Looper Pedal and it looks pretty cool!! Thoughts? And its cheap!!

Looks good for a.basic, budget looper if you are happy with a single-track looper.

Note that there are different models which go up to 9 “tracks”, but these are really memories, not tracks. This is a single track looper.

The ability to load WAV files in over USB is good for a looper in this price range, so you could pre-load some memory slots with backing tracks.

The tuner is a nice touch, if you don’t already have one.

Cheers,

Keith

Awesome!! I thought what was nice to it lets you know when your loop ends with a light that goes around it, pretty useful!!

Yes, that’s na nice feature. Some of the Boss loopers do that too.

Cheers,

Keith

@Bytron08
Here’s a Scottish one man band. He uses a looper for his whole show. I think it’s a Boss RC300 loop station. He also uses some sort of kick drum effect.

“Danish” Pete Honore:

And, of course, Ed Sheeran:

Ed uses a custom looper board setup which is linked to a computer running the Mobius looping software. This supports 4 independent tracks. Previous to this he used a Boss RC-30 dual-track looper.

Cheers,

Keith

:grin: And of course Justin Sandercoe How to use a Looper Pedal | JustinGuitar.com

truly humbling to discover how hard it is to punch in and out on the one while playing smooth and steady :flushed:

Practice as ever is the key… I found it a nightmare just using stomps live to start with and consistently turning them on and off at the right times but it’s become more natural now. It’s the same with a looper really.

1 Like

Where would you put a looper on a pedal board, front or back. ive had various thoughts do I want clean or changed loops, would I use the looper on the board or is it better on its own. Any thoughts welcome. :kiss:

Janet

Though not a pedal board user, logic tells me the end of the chain (after the stomps), assuming there’s no FX loop on the amp. That way you can select which pedals you want to engage depending on what you want to record/loop. I am sure some one with more experience will tell you what’s best !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Toby is right. If you have a FX loop on your amp stick it there otherwise put it between your pedalboard and the amp that gives you the full flexibility. A looper is just signal recorder so whatever you record going in it keeps. You’ll generally want to have some different sound for each loop to help distinguish them.

The more you overdub the muddier the loop can get so keep nice clear distinct loops is the key.

2 Likes