Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart

It’s been a while since I’ve heard you singing and playing David and all I can say is WOW!!!
You haven’t half come on since I heard you last, blimey amazing!
Nice song well sung and played - CONFIDENTLY! That’s what makes the difference, your confidence in yourself!

1 Like

You’re very sweet, David, thank you :hugs:

And I added this song to my repertoire after hearing you play it a second time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@JokuMuu @NicoleKKB

:joy: thanks, confusing up my user-names, names, and faces. Sorry about that ladies.

1 Like

@DarrellW Thanks Darrell, really appreciate that. I am getting back into it and don’t yet feel I am where I was maybe this time a year ago, but delighted not to have slipped too far off and am getting back into it slow and steady

1 Like

@Mari63

:hugs:

You’ll master it in no time at all, and maybe you could persuade Krista to sing it with you next time. Now that would be delicious and delightful.

1 Like

Hi David,

what a lovely rendition, but I also enjoyed the one at the OM (didn’t notice the outro-issue, though). Both played and sung with lots of feeling and a great vibe. It’s great you are back at playing and we are lucky to have you back as a performer, too! :slight_smile:

It’s interesting, how differently things can be received/felt by oneself and someone else. To me, you seemed so relaxed and both versions had a great, laid back vibe. But of course I can’t feel what’s going on inside yourself, but I can - at least for me - say it doesn’t show at all. Felt as relaxed as ever. :slight_smile:

Again, glad to have you back. Wish you well and am looking forward to more AVOYPs or OM appearances in the future! :smiley:

1 Like

@Lisa_S Thanks Lisa. The outro issue not being picked up just reinforces something Justin has said viz if you keep the rhythm solid, don’t hesitate then you can get away with the odd problem with the chords. But play your chords perfectly and have sloppy rhythm and listeners will notice immediatley. I notice some trembling at times in my left hand, as well as being aware of it in the moment. But again, with the relaxed strumming and vocal, that becomes less noticeable. At least I wasn’t experiencing the swan thing, you know, serene and beautiful gliding across the water, feed thrashing wildly out of sight under the water :rofl:

1 Like

Hi David, I gave your latest offering a good listen this morning on my way into work and what a way to start a Monday morning… it was great my friend! Well done!

1 Like

Well played, @DavidP, sounding good. Sadly, flight delays meant I missed OM26 - Live completely and hope to catch-up with the recording some time soon.

… that’s something we should all have on a “Post it”, stuck in plain sight in our practise space.

Hi David,
Nice job on this NY song! Was that DI with the guitar? It had sort of a big sound to it, from what I heard. Good job on play and vox… I agree and would go so far as to say that one can slightly muff a chord, but if in time it will hardly be noticed. Go the other way and it seems to stick out!

Looking forward to more, hopefully when you can fully engage after the rust is shaken off!
Be well,
LB

@Socio Thanks James, glad you enjoyed it.

@Elixir1253 thanks so much, Elixir. It was a great show, worth a view

@LBro Thanks LBro, glad you enjoyed it. The guitar and vox both run through the PlayAcoustic pedal. Then I double the guitar, pan left and right and make use of Haas Effect. All that helps improve the tone over a simple DI and adds some of the width, fullness.

1 Like

David, that performance is a real treat; well played and sung. The mix sounds really good, both through buds and car. It looks and sounds very relaxed and confident. Glad to see you getting back into it, and looking for more down the road.

1 Like

Sounded good to me!

David - Your introductory comments tweaked my attention. Your performance of a Neil Young song that I never before took note of, brought me to tears - thank you so much for this. Because of your contribution, I’m going to make copies of the chord sheet to this song and take them to my jam session next Thursday. So glad the gout’s not holding you back.

@oldhead49 Thanks Dave. Glad it sounds good to you, always appreciate your assessments. I am enjoying playing and staying pretty much in my comfort zone. I am trying to learn and improve a little but mostly playing these cowboy-chord, camp-fire simple sing-alongs is my comfortable playing place. And nothing wrong with that. By the way, did you change your profile piacture?

@GDPiper169 Thanks Greg, appreciate the listen and comment. Glad it did.

@Bernfrim4715 Thanks bernard, I am moved, such a wonderful compliment. Neil Young has such a vast songbook, must be so many we’ve never heard that would be great to learn and play. Enjoy it at your jam.

Hi, David. Nothing wrong with playing in your comfort zone, for sure. Trying to learn and improve is something we are all doing, I think. And no, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with playing sing-alongs. I meant to ask before, are you still doing the live mics down there? I know you’ve been busy and had other things going on. Just curious.
Yes, I changed my profile pic. Got rid of the the nasty mask. And guess what, yesterday Covid his us here. But I won’t go back to the mask pic.

1 Like

@oldhead49 Hope you can stay healthy and avoid a bout of C-19, Dave.

No, I stopped the Live OMs when the gout hit me hard in Sep last year and pertty much stopped playing. I am not yet back at the point where I feel comfortable and confident to play at those again. May well do again in the future, though I’d found them to have got a little too busy.

Started to hate arriving 10 minutes before the official opening time, which is 30 minutes before show time, only to find the board already full. Then you sit through the 2.5hrs and not sure if you’ll play or not. With some people playing and then leaving which I always think is kind of against the spirit of things, at least my own sense of it.

David this was a sweet treat to my ears, your singing complemented perfectly the gentle tone of the strumming on the guitar. I found your performance well relaxed and since it made me relax too I had a second re-listen :relieved::blush:

1 Like

@SILVIA Thanks Silvia, so glad to hear that.

1 Like

David,
it was a wonderful soulful performance of a beautiful song! Thanks! :handshake:
And besides, I notice the wonderful sound of your guitar :+1:
Bravissimo, sir :clap:
Leo

1 Like