New App subscriptions now require VIP pass to access songs

It might be that what they’ve done is to introduce a cheaper tier for people because it doesn’t involve a load of licenced songs

1 Like

Or they introduced a more expensive tier to give access to the songs that folk are complaining about not being on the app.

if thats the case they should definitely let us know more about it

The bottom line is if you subscribed before the 27 June 2024 then you’re automatically given VIP but I agree there should have been an update posted here to keep everyone in the loop.

@Richard_close2u tagged you so that the team is aware as I’m sure there’s going to be more posts and topics created regarding it.

1 Like

Thank you James @Socio for digging out this background information. I’m sure everyone agrees that musopia selected the wrong forum to communicate the app subscription changes :sweat_smile:

The really interesting question is, will the VIP price continue to be the same as the current subscription price. Let’s stay tuned :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

We apologise for not announcing this change before it took effect. This decision was made because it primarily impacts new app users, and most of our existing community members are already subscribed and thus unaffected.

Please note that this change is currently experimental and may or may not become a permanent feature for app subscriptions in the future. This experiment is driven by significant shifts in the licensing landscape, primarily due to major publishers and the increasing costs associated with securing licenses for popular songs.

The hypothesis behind this experiment is based on the positive feedback we’ve received for our in-house songs. We aim to see if users would prefer paying a smaller fee for a subscription that includes these songs to aid their learning, as opposed to popular songs.

Our overall goal is to provide choices that cater to your individual tastes and learning styles, as well as offer more pricing options. For instance, some users may focus solely on the learning path with our in-house songs, while others may prefer learning popular songs alongside the learning path.

This is our first experiment of this nature, and we are still determining the optimal price points in light of the recent licensing price increases. We anticipate conducting further experiments to adjust the pricing of both the Premium and VIP tiers based on the feedback we gather from this initial trial.

Unfortunately, we cannot update older YouTube videos. However, if this change becomes permanent, we will announce it clearly and accessibly to ensure everyone understands the differences between Premium and VIP before subscribing.

This experiment may or may not lead to permanent changes. Rest assured, we will carefully review the results and consider your feedback before making any final decisions. To reiterate, these changes only affect new subscribers, and existing subscribers are not impacted by this experiment.

Thank you for being so understanding and if you have any questions or comments please let us know :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

thanks for the explanations

Yousician has a lot of in house songs too so its pretty normal that musopia does the same
it can be surprisingly good songs

But on JG all modules offers to play famous / popular songs to practice on
so in the end we will all need to be VIP on JG to follow the modules
doing without the songs is not really an option i think ( if we want to use the app)

and at one point or another we will all have to renew our subscriptions so we will all be impacted :confused:

@MacOneill

All previous subscriptions before this went live will remain on VIP and as long as they are auto-renewed/not cancelled and resubscribed they will remain this way meaning renewals of older subscriptions will not be affected by any changes

2 Likes

ok so if i clic restore purchases it will renew my old subscription just like it was before , that’s what you mean ?

Correct because they are run from the old SKU :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MusopiaApps I’m wondering why Premium and VIP where chosen. You can’t have a Premium level without having a Basic or entry-level and VIP sounds like you’re receiving something special. When in reality all you’re getting is songs you are paying extra for. Very poor marketing, making something sound better than it actually is isn’t good business practice.

1 Like

I found it confusing as well. I think we can all agree adding it to the app before any notice or documentation is available doesn’t create a transparent customer experience. I also would have liked some clarity around the pricing as to a new user of the app it wasn’t clear that the $12.99 subscription replaces the $10.99 one. Something like "unlock 1500+ songs for 2 dollars more would have been more clear and also sound like a better value.

Did anybody else read, greed, there? Or am I just being cynical?

You’re not being cynical just plain old wrong. Try developing an app yourself, add in a bunch of license costs and have money left to feed your family and let us know how it goes

I think @SgtColon is referring to the publishers and not the app developer

2 Likes

Fair enough, that’s an argument that will rumble on forever. The publishers will say they deserve more and we’d say that surely there’s some value from people learning those songs. Either way Musopia are stuck in the crossfire and I think people forget that

3 Likes

I wasn’t having a pop at Musopia. @Socio James picked up what I was having a pop at.

4 Likes

Apologies - the thread was getting heavy on people telling Musopia how to run their app and I got the wrong end of the stick

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your understanding and feedback, it is really valuable for us to have these comments to help us inform further experiments and also the processes attached to this.

We understand the naming of the two products can be considered confusing and we are also working to make it more clear in the copy that the VIP would replace the Premium via an upgrade instead of two active subscriptions.

It’s not ideal but ultimately, this stems from licensing changes in the music industry and we have been forced into this move to ensure the future of the app.

Furthermore, we are adding lots of our own in-house songs to the app and are actively working on these to provide an amazing learning experience for everyone.

Please let us know if you have any further feedback because we want to ensure that we get this as right as possible given the situation and we truly value your thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes