New Club request - Audio Hardware Routing options

Would it be possible to have a new club based on Audio hardware and configurations.

I’m starting to see just how complex this can get. !

I have and 8I6 , monitor speakers , Katana Amp and Single or dual mics (and others).

The output routing options are a little mind boggling to say the least, for me anyway lol.
So could we please have a Club with indepth discussion on routing options and different configurations to get the same goal.

IE:
Guitar to Amp to Mics to AI to DAW
can also be
Guitar and AI to Amp to DAW

or more complex

Guitar to AI to Amp to mics to AI to DAW (does this cause a feedback loop) ?

Now where do I use the FX software lol… :grimacing:

:slight_smile:

R

That’s a nice idea, although I’m a little unsure how easy that would be to put together. There’s a ton of different gear and different setups and demonstrating some of this could be tricky (and would require a lot of gear and preparation).

Also, some of the routing options are going to be computer based and will be OS and application specific.

I may be willing to help with some of this if enough people think it would be useful.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

For sure, I see it as multiple weeks covering different aspects which can be cross referenced to past areas.

I agree not easy but very useful to all I suspect.

1 Like

@Majik Keith, can think of anyone better to do this than you :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Rachel,
There are 35 topics in this search title (of course a lot of them will not be applicable) and you will probably have already seen something, so perhaps zero (as said there are so many variables :exploding_head:), so isn’t it much easier to ask you specific questions there or open a topic and call in the usual suspects (Keith, Toby JK David Jeff etc etc etc)? …and if all goes well for you I can maybe found/ask the right questions and steal from you if I ever venture into that field…I haven’t gotten any further than ablelton’s first video for more than a month ago 'how do I get sound '… :roll_eyes:
I say this because I already see some questions from you and there is a risk that the experts (other than Keith) may not follow along because they are not interested in a club on this subject … because they already know it … In any case, good luck and if you start a poll for a club, I will support you :smile:
Greetings

2 Likes

The down side of asking how to do something is you may not know all that is possible.

It was only after watching a video today that I learned that it’s possible to have mulltiple outputs to multiple people and have channel items muted for each individual person.

If you dont know something can be done, you wont ask a question.

How about we put it to a vote lol…

R

1 Like

Good one :sunglasses:

I am the last person who should actually say something about this because I already don’t understand a few words above here… I belong to the group of least technical here…
I hoped for you that so much has already been written about what you want to know and that if someone points you to the right topic you can find everything… strange idea that there is still so much to learn in this area… also a bit restless idea sometimes for me :exploding_head:

And :joy:

Good luck

1 Like

Of course I have no say on the matter but I would be surprised if Justin & co do a club on this kind of thing as it’s very complex and specific for what you want to achieve. Perhaps one day they would do one on home recording. I’m not really into the clubs thing, though.

For audio routing though - “what do you want to achieve?” is more important than “what is possible to do?”

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. I’m of the mind to ask what is the easiest way to do XYZ? At the end of the day we just want to record our guitar.

Ok, I’ll ask a question.

Hardware is Focusrite Scarlet 8i6. I’m partway to figuring out the outputs but not quite there yet.

As I understand it the device automatically detects if you connect and Line cable or an XLR. That said I want to setup the inputs/outputs that allow the following WITHOUT having to change between which configuration is needed in the AI.

Obviously moving the guitar cable from AI to AMP. :slight_smile:

Something like this, I don’t think this is correct yet as I’m working on it now.

I’m certain something in here needs to be muted, so , could this be done if I get a really small mixer or some such thing.I just want to be lazy lol

R

If you are talking about the front combo inputs than, yes (sort of). The XLR and Jack socket are actually two different connections which have been merged together.

The XLR inputs are configured to expect a mic level input (very low level signal) and the preamps will boost that signal accordingly.

When you connect via jack, it can accept an instrument input (fairly low level signal) or line level (high level signal). But you have to configure which type using Focusrite Control. I believe it’s set to line level by default. If you configure for Instrument input, the INST light comes on.

For general information:
Mic Level - Microphones
Instrument Level - Guitar or Bass DI
Line level - pretty much everything else (including outputs from keyboards, tablets, phones, etc.

This is a bit tricky because the normal amp input is designed for an instrument level. All of the outputs on the Focusrite are line level which is MUCH higher and will overload the input of the amp. So I don’t think it’s really possible using the Focusrite internal routing.

You could connect the output of the Focusrite to an aux-in on the amp (if it has one) but this is almost certainly not what you want, as the aux-in will be unaffected by amp gain or fx.

You are better off, if you have an amp with a line output, to connect the guitar to the amp and the line output of the amp to the AI input. If you have a Katana 50, I don’t think it has a line output, so you can’t really do that (it does have a headphone out which would work, but which would mute the amp when connected, which doesn’t sound what you want). The Katana 100 does have a line out.

Otherwise, your best bet would be to get a cheap guitar AB or ABY switch and plug your guitar into that, and the two outputs into the amp and AI accordingly. You can then switch between them with a tap of the foot. If you get an ABY switch, it can select output A, output B, or both which may be useful.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

By the way, with the Katana you can also plug the USB into the computer and record that way, which doesn’t require any messing with the AI. That also gives you a stereo signal, and a choice of wet (effected) or dry (uneffected) signal.

The only “gotcha” with that is that, if you are using Windows, by default ASIO drivers only let you use one device at a time, so you need to do some messing around with device selection to switch between the Katana and the AI.

There’s ways to use both together, but it normally requires an external application, like Voicemeeter.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Thank for that Majik, I understood all that. I think the switch sounds about right to me. i don’t have aswitch so I 'll have to change whwn I switch from Mics to Amp. Not to much hassle.

R.

Haven’t tried this as I now have my AI on by default because I have monitor speakers attahed as part of my PC audio output too. I dont think I want to bother with ASIO although I do have it installed.

R

Something like this or this would do the trick (and there’s loads of other options if you search for “ABY Pedal”.

Remember, you need additional cables.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like