New Guitar - Setup - yes or no

So just having taken posession of a new Les Paul Standard and my first expensive guitar. ?

A.) Should I play around for a little bit and not bother with a luthier… let it settle in so to speak.

B.) Should I just take take it to a luthier regardless…
Hmmm.

Dont you just wish you could say, Oi, Justin, have a butchers at this this for us mate lol…I need your opinion…

Possible issue on E(1) has a minor pitch change on pluck(tuning) which then settles back again

Thoughts please all.

Rachel.

1 Like

Hello Rachel.

My advice would be this: no matter what guitar, cheap or expensive, it’s never a bad idea to have a luthier taking a look at it.
That way you’re sure that the guitar is set up properly and you’ll get the most out of it. You can even ask for advice, or tips and tricks.
When i bought my first guitar, i didn’t take it to a luthier too. A few months later it became clear that i needed to. First thing he did was lower the strings, adjust the intonation and helped me pick some nice strings. (i didn’t know all that much at that time about guitars).

I’m on the lookout for a new guitar, and before she leaves the shop, she’ll have passed through the hands of the (in house) luthier.

1 Like

That’s possibly down to plucking it a bit too enthusiastically, you should take the steady pitch as being what it is. Try just gently plucking it with the soft skin of your finger and see what happens.
As regards having it set up, it’s always a good idea to have it adjusted to how you want it rather than try to adapt to it, after all you’ve spent a lot of money getting what you really wanted, has to also be adjusted to the way you want it - manufacturers settings are arbitrary ‘safe’ settings!

1 Like

LOL, ROFL, Setup to how I like it. :roll_eyes: , the only thing I can do right now IS addapt to it. :laughing: :rofl:

Rachel.

1 Like

You will find out as you progress!
It might be useful to understand what needs to be looked at on your guitar and maybe learn how to look after it yourself, I did years ago and saved myself a small fortune - BUT as your guitar is high value don’t do anything unless you’re confident enough to do it.

1 Like

Aside from working the nut and frets, electric guitar setups are pretty straightforward, although finicky.

Before you take it to a luthier, study up on electric guitar setup, including relief/truss, action and saddle adjustments.

Then give it a go yourself. If you solve your issue and improve the play, great, if not THEN take it to the luthier.

At the very least you will have tried and learned a lot about your guitar. Once you take it to the luthier, you probably don’t want to be messing with it, so learn first.

Stewmac has good videos, and there are others online. Justin has some videos as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the links, that will help a lot. Thank you.

R.

This is the correct answer. Think of what you guitar has gone through since it left the factory. Loaded on a truck sent to the dustributor put in a warehouse, sent to the showroom then loaded in your car and taken to your home. All different temperatures, Relative Humidity and bumpy roods.
Let your guitar acclimate to you home for a month or so and play it. Write down what you think needs adjusting the take it in.
There is no such thing as a perfect set up. But there is a perfect set up for you. You need to know what that is.

1 Like

Getting a set up from a qualified guitar tech accomplishes two things:

1. Your guitar is set up, making it more playable.
  2. You now have a guitar tech in your contacts in case you really need one in the future.

Note: A new guitar set up will not break the bank.

2 Likes