New pedal!

Hi Rick!

I have been curious for long time now but never really delved into it.
I decided to do it though as I want to learn. I have a lot of curiosity and ideas so, that could be a next step!

Thanks JĆ³zsef!

Iā€™ll try jedspeds too if this experiment goes well! I donā€™t know what to expect soundwise but if it works Iā€™ll be happy.

1 Like

I got these from fuzzdog too.
I watched some videos online on finishing the enclosure and itā€™s more work than expected but itā€™s a worry for laterā€¦

A RAT is a great choice!

I just watched a 1.5 hour youtube on the history of the ProCo Rat. Take home message is they are simple, produce a range fantastic tones and are basically all the same. The clones all sound great because the circuit is simple to reproduce.

Here is the video link. It is by Josh Scott the JHS pedal guy.
History of the ProCo RAT Pedal and Myths Debunked

Here is his webpage with even more info on the RAT.
ProCo RAT pedal myths, history, and timeline

Good Luck. That will be a fun to pedal explore.

1 Like

Interesting! Iā€™ll watch and read the material Matt. Thanks for sharing!

Wow. Just checked out this part of the community. Itā€™s been 44 years since I soldered some Heathkit projects. Looks like some interesting pedal projects here. It might make me pull my soldering iron out of storage.

If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™m really glad we can inspire one another!

1 Like

Just like learning guitar. Slow and careful and you will be all right!

1 Like

I have been tempted by a few projects like this one.

Iā€™m not going to be doing anything any time soon because my soldering iron and other tools are on the other side of the world, and Iā€™m trying to keep fairly minimalist where I am now, because I know I will be moving somewhere else by the end of the year.

Yes, it was a long time ago. I think Stanmore was defence. I was, originally, based at St. Albans, but then the office moved to Stevenage which was better for me as I lived in Knebworth at the time.

I really havenā€™t done that much soldering since those days. The last significant thing I dug my soldering tools out for was a bell sensor and computer interface system.

These are the soldered boards being lacquered:

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Another good use for a soldering ironā€¦

1 Like

This is why I like the Zvex, problem with the genuine ones is that the budget version is around Ā£180!

1 Like

It is a bit pricey! Certainly 50 quid (or perhaps closer to 70 with enclosure vat etc) is much better than 180.
Thatā€™s part of the reason I went for the kits too.

All Iā€™m seeing is Ikea anxiety and whereā€™s the alan key. Good luck

1 Like

:joy: Thanks Cate!

1 Like

So howā€™s that RAT coming along?
Just in case you need some motivation
Can the RAT do all of these tones?
Spotify RAT riffs playlist

Hey Matt! Thanks for following up!

So, the TS clone, I got it right and sounds good.

The RAT, Iā€™ve had several problems created from my lack of knowledge and skills with electronics. It makes a sound now but Iā€™m not convinced is the right sound as the distortion pot makes an awful noise when turning the knob which I havenā€™t debugged yet, I havenā€™t had the time.
But it doesnā€™t sound bad either. It sounds good in fact. I used germanium diodes for the clipping and a switch which changes the flow and uses red LEDs instead of the Ge diodes for a different clipping option. Both sound good but thereā€™s a big volume difference between the two.

Well done with the TS and good luck sorting out the issues with the RAT!

Thanks Matt!

I have a few days off soon so Iā€™ll try to have a look into it then and hopefully be able to share something!