New Songs are a dissappointment

It’s back at the moment, though other songs have just been dropped. :neutral_face:

It’s a really interesting thread to follow as someone who learned with Justin way before the app was available and therefore you had to look for other avenues for backing tracks and of course to learn the songs.

I do whole heartedly agree with the people complaining particularly when they are paying good money for the app. As a minimum I think on signup it should be explained that songs are not guaranteed to remain as they are.

As a non app user I would always look to JG song lessons (or others) to get the basics of a song and then pull a chord sheet from elsewhere e.g. UG tabs, In terms of backing tracks you can’t beat KaraokeVersion although I appreciate its a small charge per song (probably less in a year than you’d pay for the JG app).

Obviously I’m talking as someone who doesn’t need the “follow along” chord charts but personally I think all should look to progress beyond the app at some point.

There’s also another popular app (at least on IOS) called moises that allows you to strip instruments from audio files. Seems to work fairly well.

2 Likes

Just looked up moises Jason. He’s a high value footballer. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, it’s a very interesting thread. I started out with the app before making my way over to the website. I’ve been thinking about this one on the basis of what if it happened when I was using the app. The app was fantastic for starting out with the lessons and practice interface. The play along was great for developing timing and forcing progress with chord changes in a fun way. I never really learned any songs with the app. I would say that it is fundamental that the songs on the app correlate with those recommended in the lessons. If the songs that I was playing when using the app at the time went missing I don’t think I would have kicked up to much of a fuss as the app didn’t really help me learn the songs, it really just helped me progress through the lessons by applying what was taught in a fun manner. If it really taught me how to play a song I would be able to play it without the app using the original as a backing track. I think one of the key points to me is that the beginners course needs to be updated every time there is a change due to licensing to align the recommended songs with that available on the app. Just my two cents for what it is worth. At the end of the day the app still gives the benefits of putting into practice in a fun way what Justin teaches, the songs might not meet everyone’s tastes and change due to uncontrolled circumstances but that’s life but with Justin’s teaching you can still learn to play your favourite songs against a backing track. Yes it is a lot of money to be paying for a yearly subscription but think of it as your way in supporting Justin’s philosophy of teaching the world to play guitar including those that can’t afford the app.

7 Likes