New subcategory of players…THE RHYTHMICALLY CHALLENGED

point taken but trust me when I say being rhythmically challenged is a very real thing IMO. thanks

thanks. I’ll keep at it

I agree, thanks

Do keep at it! I know well how real the struggle is… you’ll be surprised of yourself and to see how much training can do. Keep your foot tapping and push just a little tiny bit more everyday :blush:

1 Like

If you really are struggling with the basic rhythm, then the metronome is your friend.

I’m not sure what the current lessons are on rhythm (it’s been a few years since I done the beginners course, and I done the original one…), but the same basic advice applies.
Start with metronome somewhere around 60-80bpm. These are the speeds that are pretty natural for people to maintain, as they’re not too slow, they’re not too fast, and they fall around a typical resting heart rate, so they feel more ‘natural’ speeds.

Work on the basic strumming patterns around those speeds, until you are consistent at those speeds.

Then work on getting faster, which will likely start to highlight any issues with pick holding/string attack. Find the fastest speed you can maintain on the beat, but also each practise session push past that, even if you completely lose the beat/launch the pick into orbit, try it, just so you learn how going faster feels, and what bi of your technique might need worked on to get faster.

Also at the same time, work on going slower.
Going slower and keeping in time is far harder, as you end up with too much time to think about when the next beat is going to be. It’s far harder to strum consistently slower, than it is to strum consistently faster. You probably won’t play many songs at very slow tempo, but it’s good to push your limits and learn how playing slower feels.

2 Likes

I definitely don’t practice enough with a metronome, but I am trying to do more. It really does help and feels important.

@Gnivek, you are about 2 years in, like me, if you ignore that I have taken a sidetrack into classical. What I am trying with the metronome is to find and try different fun cord progressions while working on strumming patterns and exercises. Cord changes are easy enough, once I establish the progression, so I can focus on the timing of the strumming and the accent of strumming. Similarly with picking patterns.

I think this is super helpful and fun, making simply music of my own (well, seems like that, I am surely not doing anything actually innovative) while practicing basic skills like rhythm, timing, fluid strumming, fluid cord changes, cord progression patterns, strumming patterns, picking patterns, accenting and even embellishments. More going on in a simple exercise than it appears!

The other thing I want to do more of is to listen to the professional version of songs I am playing while reading the score. I think that will help me hear and see the rhythm better. Probably tapping along with the song would be good as well.

1 Like

Well now I want to see you dance. :smiley:

I am definitely in this subcategory!
I practice with a Metronome nearly every day and I make progress on keeping time. One day its good, 3 days its bad :rofl::rofl:
However I was happy that I managed to tap my feet just on the beats and not also on the off beats (This took two years to achieve) and now I just need to apply this to 16th note strumming.

1 Like

Yup. I’m rhythmic challenged. I can’t keep the same strumming pattern throughout a song. It changes in some weird way as I play through…the timing is okay, but the patten changes to whatever I’m feeling as I play and sing.
Sooo…I try to own it and make it part of my style.
And I keep practicing Justin’s lessons and try for improvement.
Keep the playing up and may the journey be enjoyable!

2 Likes

appreciate this, thanks

thank you!

Maybe Justin can put up some dance instruction videos!

I will undoubtedly lose any dance off on this forum, however if any of us older guys throw out our backs dancing, at least we can sit down and play guitar.

So I guess I need to up my game with the metronome. I use it some but give up on it quickly. Thinking about how to respond to this has made me aware of my metronome struggles. I can successfully use the metronome with one or two chords. I’m realizing right now that the metronome feels good when I can visually see that I am hitting the notes in time. But when I play anything beyond very basic chord transition practice, I need to look down at my strings. I don’t think that I have successfully played to an audible click/beat. I’ll start on this right away and make part of every practice.
Thank you for all the comments. Very helpful.

Something else to add into your practise mix once you’re mostly comfortable with a basic metronome, is a metronome with a different 1st beat.
That way you can monitor if you’re actually staying on the correct beat. At faster tempos, it can be surprisingly easy to drift onto the wrong beat without realising.

As you progress, you also want to consider some strumming practise with drum beats, but take things one step at a time. Start simple, then build from there.

2 Likes

After “How to sing and play at the same time”, "How to dance and play guitar at the same time - an ultimate guide for advancing Beginners":joy:

2 Likes

I agree, the different first beat is SUPER helpful. It’s the reason I prefer the metronome in my tuner (even if mine is fiddly to set up) as opposed to the one on the website practice page.

It also has a (digital) line/pendulum that swings back and forth across the screen, which helps to see when the “and” is for eight notes/up strums. Rhythm isn’t my strong suit either, but I’ve definitely improved over the past couple months using it alongside the lessons here!

1 Like

If 80s metal is your thing (it is mine) then you need to be able to run round the stage and jump off things while playing the guitar. I think it’s fair to say that by my guitar skills are good enough to do that, my aging body won’t be!!! :joy: I think it might be simpler to pick myself a different musical genre

I definitely consider myself rhythmically challenged. On the rare occasion that I’ve been dragged onto a dance floor, it’s like I’m hearing a completely different song to everyone else. I’m sure with practice my guitar rhythm will improve but I have officially retired from dancing

1 Like

Hi Matthew, I meant this as a joke :joy:. I’m not a dancer at all! Happy if I manage to play my songs…don’t need more challenges. I let others dance for me!

1 Like

I sometimes find it hard to play with a metronome, but I have found if I can find a drum pattern I drop it into Cakewalk (which is free) and find I can get into the rhythm much better. Not sure if that would work for others having issues with a simple metronome click, but I can feel the rhythm better that way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey thanks for intro to Cakewalk…very cool!