New to JustinGuitar but not guitar. An entry guide would be useful

I’m new to Justin Guitar, but I’ve been playing guitar on and off for decades. I need to determine the course level at which I should begin here. It would be good if there were an entry questionnaire that helps a student new to the course to determine the best level at which to start his/her studies here.

Welcome to the community John.
Start at the beginner cousre. You’ll blow through the things
you know and it will point out all the bad habits you’ve learnt
over the years

What Stitch said.

A lot of people ask the same and my personal advice is to start right from the beginning. Each step you will say “I can do that”, but there will come a time when you are challenged whether it’s a song or chord or scale. Most of us have gaps in our skills, so it’s worth being honest with yourself before moving up.

Same for me I hadn’t played for 30 years.I started right at the beginning and got through a lot of stuff very quickly.You will eventually come up against more challenging things and that’s when you need to develop skills in to new areas .Best of luck .

I’ve been playing on and off for over a decade, and seem to be in a rut. Was playing every day and now barely touched a guitar in 3-4 months.

Last year, I started the intermediate course (Grade 4) and became frustrated as I was having difficulty following along. Now I feel completely out of touch and am confident I moved too far too fast “just to keep moving”.

Sound familiar? If so, do I go all the way back to Level 1 and progress quickly or just back to Grade 3?

Would love to hear your experiences.

Jay

Welcome back Jay
I’d go all the way back to the beginning review all the lessons and redo the once you may have not paid enough attention to. Shouldn’t take very long but will be a good refresher to set you up for grade three. A person could spend years exploring grade 3 with the amount of content it covers.
You need to set a goal. “What do you really want to play on your guitar.” This can narrow down and focus what lesson you should be putting into your practice routine.

2 Likes

@jsg12
Yes, review from the ground floor up as advised.
My corollary is that the lesson content of those early beginner may be stuff you whizz past rapidly, but take a fair chunk of time to apply the skills.
In the context of music
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

1 Like

Much thanks @stitch and @Richard_close2u. You’re advice aligns with what I was thinking, but always good to get confirmation from the pros.

My classic rock days are still ahead of me (with LOTS of Zeppelin!)

Best
Jay

Having taken a several year break from any proper learning and practice, I’ve just been going over the beginners course, at least having a scan over each lesson, and watching any video for bits I can’t quite remember.

I’m certainly not watching every video though.