Newbie...Hi there and quick question - I love the free courses - how best to support Justin?

Hi Steve, welcome to the community. I think it depends on where you are in learning guitar from Justin. If you are in Grade 1 then I think that the lessons and songs app would be most helpful and the practice routines in the app are a little easier for beginners.

I think that using the website lessons gives you a more complete experience, so I would suggest using that first for the lessons, since each lesson comes with additional background material, chord chards and sometimes tabs for riffs. Also you have a tab to go directly to community discussion for that lesson to get an answer to your question.

I also recommend getting the two Justin guitar beginner books as you start learning songs.

1 Like

Hi Steve :wave:
Nice to meet you and welcome :slight_smile:

I have tried the app and I think it is great, playing along with songs in it helps with chord changes and tempo, and it is really fun. Personally, I prefer the website though.
Also, keep in mind that the app and website are not linked.
I’d recommend the trial though to see what you think :slight_smile:
There are lots of options for supporting JG :sunflower:

1 Like

Welcome Steven. Another option is to make a donation to Justin which you can do via the website. The strumming course on the website also receives a lot of positive feedback

1 Like

:wave:

Welcome to the group Steven.

R.

1 Like

Hello Steve, welcome!
I used Justin’s app for the first 7-8 months of my guitar journey, every single day. I think it is an amazing tool to get you fast into playing songs, practicing chord changes, and strumming. It is very useful and convenient to have all the backing tracks (with options on what you want to include/exclude) and chord/strumming guidance in one single app. Apart from that, it is simply fun to have a full band playing with you in the initial stage of your learning - it does great things for your motivation as your playing sounds much better (especially if you keep the original guitar in the track). :smiley:
I discovered Justin’s theory course later and have been using it ever since. It is so well put together, I particularly love PDF summaries. Both content and formatting (big company marketing department level of quality) are amazing.

2 Likes

Hi All,
I want to thank everyone for the great advice and warm welcome. I am finding being motivated is the way for me to go. Ten days in, I have learned to play something recognizable as the Nirvana Come as You Are riff. Pretty motivating so to keep dropping the carrot in front of me :slight_smile: I purchased the app and the songbook based on your recommendations. I assume music theory will be coming soon as well :slight_smile:

It’s super cool that I can sit at home and take guitar lessons every day.

Thanks for all your help!
Steve

5 Likes

Hi Steve,

Music theory gets a pretty mild intro in the playing lessons. I believe that the first grade of the dedicated classes, or at least a good portion of it, will be free. The full course access does have a fee. I have access, so cannot check what I remember, but I do recall getting a reasonable feel for how the class will go from the lessons I had access to.

You can start this any time. I started after I really was interested in how chords were constructed. The theory class doesn’t run in parallel to the playing class structure, so go at your own pace for each independently.

1 Like

Hi Steve and a delayed welcome form me too! So pleased you’ve begun your journey and that you found Justin, his approach and style is second to none in my book.

And good on you for wanting to support alongside the amazing free content. The app is terrific and saw me through my first 18 months before I started to use it less and less, but that’s a significant amount of value, not just with the song karaoke, but other tools like the OMC tracker. I now support by purchasing the music theory course (and some merch :wink: ) but early doors as you are I think the app probably will tick the boxes.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck and much, much fun!

1 Like

Hi Steve, welcome. Good you found a guitar method that sticks best with you. Justin Guitar method works for most people as far as them can keep the carrot in front of them as you said and practice regularly. You’ll get the carrot and go for more. Good also that you found the best way for you to support Justin Guitar at your current learning stage. Have fun.