Newbie...Hi there and quick question - I love the free courses - how best to support Justin?

Hi All Newbie Here.

Learning guitar has always been on my bucket list. I trialed this and another program over the last month and found that Justin’s method sticks best with me.

I could stay on the free stuff forever with how good it is. However, I do want to support Justin. With that being said, if I were to get one subscription at my level, would you recommend the site or the app?

I will probably practice about 30 to 60 minutes a day. I am at that point in my life where I can do that.

On another note, @JustinGuitar, if you are ever in the States and want to see beautiful Montana and get a roll in, let me know(I am a 20-year vet of BJJ).

Looking forward to the journey and your input.

Oss,
Steve

11 Likes

Welcome Steve.

I’ve been learning for around a year with Justin and I really enjoy the songs app for something to be able to play along with. The eventual aim is to be able to play along with original recordings (and I am making some progress there) but the songs app is a good starting point. I’d say take advantage of the 7 day free trial. That should give you chance to try it out and see if there’s songs in there that you want to play.

5 Likes

Welcome. Yeah the JG songs & lessons app is pretty good for the beginning of your journey up until somewhere through Grade 2 IMHO.

2 Likes

So first ALL the standard lessons are free on the website and youtube

There are some additional more in depth courses that are paid access, but you absolutely dont need them for now.

The app is a great way to work if your primarily on mobile, and the song side of it is very handy esp at first to get going. It has a free trial afik

2 Likes

I also asked myself the same question when I started, but it didn’t take me long to come to really appreciate the quality of what Justin has and continues to put together and the way the lessons are structured. For me getting the app was a way to show some support with an added benefit.

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of playing :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

If I had to pick one, I’d go with the Theory Course. The app is fun at first with the play along karaoke type songs but its also a crutch as you don’t really learn songs. It is good for learning fast chord changes as you play along.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Steven. The only thing I have to add to what’s already been said is that, as I understand it (I’ve never used the app) the website and the songs & lessons app have the same video content, but the website lessons have extra written content. I get the impression from others in the community that the website’s best for lessons and the app’s good for playing along with songs.

There are other ways to support Justin than an app subscription, In my early days here I bought the beginner’s songbook, and volume 2 when it came out, which turned out to be fantastic value as I still use them more than 10 years later!

3 Likes

Sorry but I disagree with you. A new player needs to get playing songs, learning to strum, change chords and stay in time. There’s plenty of time to learn theory once those basics are conquered (which won’t be overnight)

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community Steven. Lots of good advice issued so far. I’d already completed the old Beginner and Intermediate courses before the app came out, so have no direct experience. However, it gets good reviews from those that have used it over the last few years. But from what I have seen it is best used in conjunction with the website.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

there a million songs to learn within the course. he’s asking about buying extra.

2 Likes

when I started my guitar journey I found myself watching this Nitsuj practice sessions and followed the song practice there. I quickly realized that I needed something to play along with and gave the Song/Lesson app a try. It was a good fit for me, so I paid for it. I continue to use it regularly (I’m in Grade 2). As I progress in my skill I will explore other paid content.
Justin Guitar certainly covers everything I am looking for.
Watch some of the Nitsuj practice sessions, it will give you an idea of what the Song app offers…

2 Likes

when a kid starts to read , his first book won t be " war and peace "
The app is a great help for beginners

6 Likes

Me too, and I’d also recommend watching at least a few of them because they show that the first steps of learning guitar aren’t easy, it’s not just you that is somehow uniquely bad at it. Ok Justin is playing the wrong way around but he’s still got all of that knowledge and it’s still not easy for him

2 Likes

Hi and welcome, Steve.

I’ve been here a year and also purchased the Lesson and Song App. I find it has really helped me with tempo and chord changes as well as learning songs I didn’t already know. It’s been really helpful to be able to slow things down. I’m getting to the point now where I won’t need it for some songs. (At least I hope so.) :smiley:

3 Likes

Indeed, it has helped me tremendously and as for being a crutch, if you end up using it as a backing track and you no longer have to look at the screen, I don’t see it as being any different than playing with some random backing track acquired elsewhere.

6 Likes

There are indeed a million songs to learn on the website, but there is a huge difference between learning a song, as in learning to be able to play a song on your own, without accompaniment or maybe with a backing track or the original, and playing along, as in having the chords shown on screen, being able to slow the song down, …

I agree the app is not ideal to learn songs, but the play along feature is great for getting a feel of playing songs, and most of all, practising chord changes in a fun way. You don’t start learning songs right out of the gate, but you can start playing along at that time, and it is a very fun way of practising chord changes and staying motivated.

The song lessons on the website and the play along feature in the app are just 2 different things, with different purposes.

1 Like

Welcome Steve! As others have said, for the lessons themselves, I would recommend using the website, but the app is great for the play along feature which very quickly will give you a sense of ‘playing songs’ instead of just doing exercises - a great way to keep you motivated!

Have fun!

2 Likes

Agreed. And even if you do look at the screen that means you’re playing without looking at your guitar constantly which is a good habit to develop.

The songs app has really helped me too, it’s not stopped me learning songs. I get that not everyone wants or needs it but there’s no need for their negativity around it, different strokes for different folks

2 Likes

Hey Steven,

Welcome to community mate. Enjoy the ride, stick close Justins lessons, and reach out here any time.

In my opinion, Justins Practical Music Theory course would give you the greatest long term benefit.
It is intensely practical, high quailty, and structured in a way that promotes solid understanding AND competency.
First few grades are free too.

It is the pinnacle of Justins teaching I believe.
All the best.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes