NGD - Alvarez Masterworks Parlor MPA66ESHB

Ordered this guitar (Alvarez Masterworks Parlor MPA66ESHB) from Sweetwater, and got it a couple weeks ago. I found the action too high for my liking so I had it adjusted (needed both nut and saddle lowered to get where I wanted it). I picked up the guitar (after adjustment) today, and it plays like a dream with 12th fret action of 0.080" for the low E and 0.068 for the high E.

Very happy with the guitar after getting it set up to my liking. Parlor size, slotted headstock, and 12th fret at the body joint. All solid wood (mahogany top, back, sides), rosewood fingerboard, bone nut and saddle, cool bridge design that gives a nice down angle on the strings, eye-catching finish, and satin finish on the neck (which has a cool soft V carve near the headstock tapering to a C towards the body). The L.R. Baggs electronics are okay. About average, in my opinion. I’d rather mic it up.

Anyway, it plays great.

18 Likes

Happy NGD, Jason :champagne::partying_face:.
What a beauty :star_struck:.
Enjoy your new love :smiley:.

1 Like

Happy NGD :partying_face: the Alvarez Masterworks series are amazing guitars and that one looks beautiful, have fun :v:

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason. I love mahogany top guitars.

1 Like

Very nice! I love these smaller guitars. I love 12 fret guitars.

Mine is 00, 12 fret Short scale.

You will want to pick it up all the time. My classical guitar progress is suffering…

1 Like

It’s absolutely beautiful, happy NGD! Enjoy it!

1 Like

Yeah, I have to agree. Great value for money, in my opinion. I’m thrilled at the quality of the materials and the craftsmanship for this price point.

Me too! I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite between spruce and mahogany. They’re different, but both good.

I’m becoming addicted to them, too.

Nice!!

1 Like

Happy NGD!

1 Like

Wow, looks great! That top is super glossy & reflective.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on tone. I’ve been considering getting a smaller acoustic (Mini Maton / GS Mini size, not this one). Much less resonance than a dreadnought I’d imagine?

1 Like

Looks great, congratulations

1 Like

The guitar is quieter than a dreadnought, which isn’t a surprise since it’s smaller and has has less airspace in the body. It also has less bass: more of a mid-focused punch. I’m not sure I’d describe it as less resonant, though. It has less volume and a different tonal balance than a dreadnought, but it’s got a lot of resonance. You’ve got that smaller body, but that also means a smaller, lighter top that is easier to move, and the shorter scale also means less tension. Because of those factors, I think a luthier can get away with less rigid bracing. (Similar to how nylon string guitars can have such a light, resonant construction – although obviously a steel-string parlor needs heavier construction than a classical guitar.) So while it will never be as loud as a dread, it projects surprisingly well.

I’ll try to make some time to record something with it so you can hear it.

1 Like

Happy NGD :sunglasses:
This look is definitely in the top 5 nice looking acoustic guitars for me,
Greetings…

1 Like

Happy NGD, Jason! What a beauty it is - wow!
Wish you lots of fun and many hours of joyful playing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy NGD Jason. I love the colour of it. Have fun.

1 Like

Very nice, happy NGD.

1 Like