NGD: HOTONE Mojo Diamond Amp Head

I wanted to share my surprise regarding this amp.

I’m sure some of you will be saying “well of course!”, but others may not really understand, like I didn’t.

I have used only modeling processors and amps since I started playing. I began with a raspberry pi computer running it through a surround sound system meant for computer gaming, graduated to a Spark rudimentary modeling amp, then to a Line6 Helix with PowerCab speaker. You see, all digital modeling stuff through speakers not ideal for guitar sound. I have a question on the forums about the PowerCab that I recently updated into more of a review here: NGD: Line6 PowerCab, questioning if it is working properly

A few months ago, I bought a Fender “cabinet” that had formerly been a combo amp. The amp had been stripped out as non-repairable and the cabinet was in the junk pile. I figured I would design an amp some time and use that cabinet (1x12 speaker) with my design. I haven’t designed my amp yet, but saw the HOTONE amp price down to $62, so made an impulse purchase.

The amp is about the size of a pedal. Taller, but otherwise pretty close. It is rated at 5W. It is marketed as a “Tweed” sound. I am able to fill my room with plenty of sound for practice. The tone knobs have a wide range and I can get clean to a heavy crunch, but not quite into metal distortion. I like fairly clean, bluesy sounds, so this amp suits my tastes well.

The surprise is the way this amp with the speaker sounds in the room. I don’t have a very good description of it, but it sounds like it NOT recorded. The modeling setup seems to have a non-distinct presence by comparison. Individual notes are more clear and volume dynamics is far easier to control. I did not expect any of this. It really feels enjoyable to play through and makes my playing (and mistakes!) really stand out.

I now have some idea what people mean when they claim that an amp will be different than a modeler. It will be interesting to see if I can figure out how to get my modeler to duplicate the clarity and dynamics I notice from the little amp!

9 Likes

Congratulations!
These joyo amps are not to be underestimated!

I have a Joyo “zombie” lunchbox amp (20w), a small box that emulates something that tastes like a Mesa Boogie. Attached to my 2x12, it it loud enough for our rehearsals.

Most of all, it is very robust and it has a very usable sound for our band.
Since I went to some kind of closed/open source platform, the amp is my main backup for live situations.

So yeah, I’m in the “well of course” camp :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Michael,
And it also looks nice too …

But luring us with an NGD…shame on you… :roll_eyes:

But I do wish you a Happy NAD :partying_face: :sunglasses:
And thanks for the info :sunglasses:
Greetings Rogier

NGD = new GEAR day!
:slight_smile:

The guitar was for Christmas…

2 Likes

:thinking:…
Yep, you are actually very right :blush:
Greetings

A true beauty!
Congratulations!

Awesome amp! sounds amazing!
A great buy, congratulations! Happy NGD! :smiley: :partying_face:

Everything you said is 100% true, I know because I also have one! I play mine through a home built 1 x 10” Jensen speaker (as used in Fender bassman cabs) and it sounds huge, just like a tube amp and it’s also a great pedal platform especially as it’s got the fx loop. These little amps should not be underestimated!

2 Likes