NGD Martin SC-13e Special Burst

@Mari63 What a beautiful sounding and looking instrument. Congratulations on finding the " special one". I loved your little impromptu AVOYP to showcase the guitar. I am sure I will see you and this lovely guitar in a future OM.

1 Like

Really rich sounding and amazingly looking guitar you got yourself there Mari, happy NGD! It looks quite slim too which makes me even more impressed about how deep the sound is coming out of this instrument!

1 Like

Really beautiful Martin and the sound is rich and deep, it seems. Congrats on finding your dream guitar!

1 Like

Great sounding and looking guitar!

1 Like

@eric.lennon @adi_mrok @pkboo3 @TheOldGuy thank you! The only thing I donā€™t like is that Iā€™m keeping it in a case with humidipaks to maintain proper humidity so I have to open and close the case a dozen times a day to take it out to play! But I definitely want to take good care of this guitar. I will for sure be playing it at whatever next OM I play at. And every day until then :slightly_smiling_face: Adrian, I measured this guitar up against Kristaā€™s Martin OMCPA5 and itā€™s actually a little bit deeper, and a little wider on the lower bout. It seems nicer for my shoulder though, and easier to play, even though itā€™s a bit bigger. Krista tried it in the store yesterday (yesterday was my 3rd time looking at it, I did take my time!) She said it really is easier to play, and that when she saw that comment made in a bunch of reviews she figured yeah right thatā€™s because you - the reviewer - can play! But when she tried it in the store she said it is much easier / nicer to play then her Martin. Iā€™m certainly very happy. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What a beautiful guitar Mari. Iā€™m glad you have found your dream guitar and I hope it brings you many years of playing happiness.

1 Like

Stunning looking and sounding instrument Mari, happy NGD!!

1 Like

Hi Mari! Iā€™m glad youā€™ve found your dream guitar. Congratulations! I wish you a lot of fullfilling hours together, thanks for the video, it sounds amazing. Iā€™m looking forward to see and hear more pieces of your blues studies played on your new buddy.
Have a lot of fun and joy!

1 Like

Wonderful rich tone, hope it will serve you well!

Side note, careful with putting it in the case, it the case have metal rims they can significantly damage the guitar body if hit accidentally (self experience). You can maintain proper humidity in the room with standard humidifier and precise hygrometer.

1 Like

@SgtColon @Notter @Helen0609 @RadekSiechowicz thank you! Itā€™s lovely to have such a beautiful instrument to play :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for that info, Radek. We have the humidistat in the house set to 34%, which is too low for my guitar. I ordered a guitar case hygrometer which is arriving today, and I am using Dā€™Addario Humidifier Packs in the case, so I will be able to confirm humidity in case today. I will be very careful putting my guitar in the case!!!

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile: . Small areas are easier to control their humidity. I used guitar humidifiers, then I also tried to keep my favourite guitar in the case, which resulted a small dent on the body. To prevent any more damage I basically changed the guitar on the wall as any other before but set humidifier to 55% and bought separate hygrometer to validate the humidity independently. So far through the entire winter is stayed within 45-65% range which Lakewood recommends as proper.

Anyway, regardless of method, point is to keep the humidity on the right level. Iā€™m curious to learn how well your method is going to be.

1 Like

Have any of your previous guitars suffered from humidity issues Mari? Continually taking your guitar out an into a case with metal fasteners sounds to me like a high risk strategy.

1 Like

Mari do you have a hygrometer? I have found that the digital setting on stand alone humidifiers are not very accurate. I have 2 analog hygrometers in my guitar room (the room is 20 feet long) they both read 45% and my humidifier is set at 25%. If I set it any higher I get both hygrometers go up above 60% to high for inside a house in winter.

I have Tested one of the hygrometers with the salt test so I know they are pretty accurate.
4 of the 5 are solid wood and all have solid wood tops. We have lives in our house since 2010 and they have all been on stands and wall hangers and never had a problem.

I know a new high end guitar comes with a little anxiety and you want to protect it but getting a good hygrometer will help set your mind at ease. If the setting on your humidifier is correct then keeping it in the case when not playing would be best but wood loses moisture very slowly so you donā€™t need to put it away if you plan on playing it again later in the day.

1 Like

@RadekSiechowicz @sairfingers @stitch thanks for your comments on humidity issues etc.

The guitar cost $2,700 Cdn, far more than any other acoustic guitar Iā€™ve ever had, so I want to ensure I treat it correctly. Rick, you are exactly right about some anxiety with a new high end guitar and wanting to protect it.

We have a humidistat on the wall at home thatā€™s connected to the heating/air system (set at 34% RH), and when my guitar case hygrometer gets delivered today I am going to check the reading on both (with the guitar case hygrometer not in the case but close to the one on the wall) and hopefully they will be close, although I donā€™t expect them to be exactly the same. When I had my friendā€™s Eastman guitar borrowed he had a hygrometer in his case, and it consistently read 44% - 45% in the case, which I think is about perfect (and the same as the one in your guitar room Rick). I will monitor the humidity reading for the first while and see how it goes (the wall one, in the guitar case, and in the music room). And that is a great idea from you Rick about not needing to put it away in the case if I plan on playing it again later in the day, that will definitely reduce the number of times in and out of the case.

Thank you all very much for all your input, very much appreciated!

2 Likes