NGD No. 5 - Fender Player Plus Stratocaster in Tequila Sunrise

We’ve recently had a discussion on what our next guitar would be and I posted a lengthy answer to that question here. Well, yesterday it turned into reality.

I’ve spent the past few weeks researching this guitar and watching reviews, and the impressions I got were quite positive, so I said to myself, “Why not get it before it gets more expensive?” I was really surprised that only 4 days after having placed my order (I tried the same model but in a different finish) the store notified me that I can pick it up along with a Fender gig bag that is sturdier than the one that comes with the guitar by default.

So yesterday I tried it at the store and found it was to my liking. This is my first guitar with a whammy bar and locking tuners, and I got the chance to change strings right away (after I took it home) as I may have got a bit wild with the whammy bar, though I think it was due to the factory strings being a bit old (the guitar was manufactured in July 2022). The 5-way switch is also new to me, so I spent last night downloading technical documentation from the Fender website for future reference. I got used to the dedicated volume and tone knobs on my Epiphone guitars, so now I have a few things to learn.

My first impressions are really pleasing. The guitar plays great out of the box, so I don’t think I’ll need any extra setup on it apart from fine-tuning the intonation and loosening the springs of the whammy bar a little bit (when released, the strings seem to stay a little sharp, at least according to my tuner), but I’ll check the descriptions before touching them.

The Strat is fitted with a 9-46 set of strings which is partially lighter than what I have on the Epiphones, but so far I have no problems adjusting to them. Last night I played along to some of my usual practice pieces and I think the transition was smooth. Of course, the tones are different and that will take some time to figure out the various settings. The action is just right so chords are clean and there’s no sting buzz. I’ve read some less than enthusiastic comments on Strats having lacquer on the fretboard and the frets (as it’s applied right at the end of the process) so I was a little worried about that but I was relieved to find that it doesn’t interfere with my playing. I can’t even feel the lacquer under my fingers.

My only gripe is with the screws of the Schaller strap locks as they don’t fit in the original strap button holes, so that will take a little work to adjust. For the time being, I’m using a spare strap I had lying around. (I bought the Fender strap matching the finish and of course I’ve already installed the parts of the strap lock that go on the strap… oh well).

So overall I’m quite happy now :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Happy NGD.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy NGD József. It looks fantastic mate. You’re going to have lots of fun playing it.

1 Like

Happy NGD. Have fun!

1 Like

Good looking guitar, enjoy. :smile:

1 Like

ooh, ncie colour scheme , Happy NGD :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi József,
Happy NGD :partying_face: :sunglasses:
I wish you a lot of time together,… :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Very nice Jozef, enjoy !
Happy NGD
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Happy NGD! It looks great, have fun playing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks great-lovely colour–good luck

1 Like

Its really pretty! Bet it’s fun to play. Happy NGD!

1 Like

Happy NGD! Have fun and enjoy!

1 Like

Happy NGD! I love the color. I have a Player Plus Meteora and I love mine. Enjoy!

1 Like

Wow what a great finish, looks stunning! Happy NGD

1 Like

Looks Awesome!!! Happy NGD!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I do like a Strat.

The controls are fairly easy to remember.
5 way switch. Think of it in relation to pickup position.
Position nearest bridge is bridge pickup.
Inbetween position is bridge and middle pickups.
Middle position is middle pickup.
Inbetween position is middle and neck pickups.
Position nearest neck is neck pickup.

(Some 5 way switches are wired differently, but the above is the standard Strat way)

Only the neck and middle pickups have tone control.
And its only a single master volume control, but the volume does affect tone. Turning it down generally reduces treble.

I usually aim for volume around the middle, then select pickups/tone depending on what kind of tone I’m aiming for.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that I’ve always stuck with 9s on my Strat.
I did put 10s on my Tele which i find does give it that bit more ‘lively’ feel, but i just like the lighter feel of 9s on the Strat. They just seem to fit the feel of the Strat better.

If you try 10s, just be aware you might need to give the tremelo springs a little adjust to bring the bridge back to it’s correct neutral position, otherwise intonation is likely to be out.

1 Like

Oh, what a beauty :star_struck:. I wish you loads of fun with it :smiley::partying_face::guitar:.

1 Like

Happy NGD József. That is a lovely looking instrument. Love the colouring.

I hope you get many years of pleasure from it.

1 Like

Great looking guitar. Enjoy! :guitar:

1 Like