NGD! Nylon string crossover electric

Nylon string. Starting to move in a classical direction, a bit. This will allow me to play at night without bothering anyone or resorting to my electric. Super excited, although my steel string acoustic is still my favorite.

6 Likes

That looks a very interesting design, happy NGD :sunglasses:

Nice fingerboard :slight_smile: Happy NGD!

Thats a beautiful looking guitar and its given me an attack of GAS. Love the inlay on the fingerboard. Hope you have fun with it :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! If only it was inlay…it is a decal. Probably to come off. Not applied that well. It does look nice though. Maybe I will get another and do it right!

Guitar feels good, low action sounds ok unamplified. I had it delivered to my office, so no amp yet.

Looks rather nice, happy NGD I’m sure that you’ll like playing that especially with a nice low action!
I set my classical up quite low but not too low as it’s just acoustic, it’s my go to when I’ve had a break, much more fingertip friendly! I need to fetch it out soon, I burned the ends of two of my fretting fingers last weekend, I caught myself on a very hot frying pan I was cooking steak in :frowning::frowning::frowning:

Another example of life getting in the way of one’s guitar playing. Best to hire a chef.

Yeah, know what you mean :joy: it’s me having a clumsy day!
Didn’t know Ltd did acoustic guitars, TL -6N ?
The one I’ve always liked is the Godin Multiac nylon but it’s way beyond my pocket!

I got the (used) ESP LTD Tl-6N because it was hollow body and half the price of a (used) Godin.

Cordoba NS1 is similar to the Godin and I even saw an old Carvin nylon electric crossover used for under $1k usd.

But this was the appropriate price for me to try. If I get good enough I will buy up.

1 Like

Happy NGD Josh.

That is an interesting looking guitar. How are you finding it to play?

It is hard to say. I definitely like the nylon and feel, low action for a classical style, and I think excellent playability.

I only got it yesterday, cleaned it up, treated the fretboard, replaced the preamp battery and strings.

Replacing the strings was a bit of an eye opener. First shot at nylon strings :exploding_head:
Took most of the evening to change them (I am sure I will get better at it) and to also do the cleanup.

Then tuning. Oh my, I didn’t really realize how different that is. I guess it takes some several days for the stings to reasonably settle down.

Pretty funny to tune it up, try to play (new guitar, want to play it!) and realize that after about 37 seconds of playing it was horribly out of tune! The G and B especially, more than a full step!

Sound is good for the fleeting moments in tune. Amplified sounds quite nice, but I would argue not at all like a classical guitar. If the expectation was to have a nice classical guitar sound, this wouldn’t work for you. But it is a very nice nylon electric sound with classical features and is a good place for me to start exploring this direction.

I tuned it half a step sharp and it will sit until tonight.

You will find that nylon strings take a while to settle in but the big advantage is that you don’t need to change them very often - I’ve had mine on for nearly 3 years now and they are still ok, I don’t use nylon anymore I use Fluocarbon ones, they’re more expensive and take longer to settle down but they last forever!
Re Changing nylon strings, it’s much easier to start at the high e and work down to the low E leaving them fairly loose so you can weave the ends of the strings in.

Thanks Derrell! The strings are finally settling, but I get a ton of nut stick. Very hard to tune. I have to press the string on each side of the nut, turn a touch, press again and turn every time. I am going to try to polish the nut grooves with some 2000 grit and add some graphite this weekend. Action is low on this nylon electric crossover, so I need to be careful.

That’s well worth doing, I really think you’re going the right direction, if the nut is cut right for depth you do need to be careful not to take anything off the bottom of the slots. I use a piece of steel (needle) to protect the groove bottom and use a piece of thin wood strip (like a lollipop stick) to support the abrasive paper. I don’t use graphite as a lubricant, I use ptfe spray, it’s less messy. Good luck with it!