No Woman No Cry cover

Hello from Australia. This is my cover of No Woman No Cry. I’ve played it for a while but I’m working on a few things. For example, the little lead lines/riffs - I’d like to drop this in a couple more times in the song but this is about the best I’ve got to so far. And also dynamics for example a couple of places where I play one strum per bar. There’s also times where I’m trying to bring it down then build it up again during the song. Happy to get any constructive feedback as always. Thank you, Greg.

13 Likes

Hi Greg,
That was an enjoyable listen and I thought you played it well. I like the little lead lines and riffs you included. I think it is tricky to switch between strumming to a riff mid song, I have been trying this with one practice song and I usually fluff the transition to some degree. I enjoyed your dynamics in the song, I think perhaps you could go for it even more, even softer to even louder, particularly with the voice. Easier said than done and Just food for thought.
Enjoyable listen, thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Alan.

1 Like

Well done, Greg, and enjoyable rendition of a classic.

Over and above what you did to work with dynamics and variation, you could consider a muted more percussive strum through the ‘everything’s going to be ok’ section. Might sound good using a right-hand edge of palm mute just for that portion.

Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

I really enjoyed that Greg. Your fretting seemed really solid and you had a nice steady strumming rhythm. I think your vocals were more confident with this song as well. Nicely done.

1 Like

Another good performance, Greg. I still say we have similar tastes in music. Have you played with your band mates lately?

1 Like

Well done Gregg I enjoyed the performance

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll test your theory about similar musical tastes soon enough - watch this space! No haven’t played with bandmates, rarely see them except my brother who I hope to catch for a jam soon.

1 Like

Great idea thank you David!

1 Like

Thanks Alan I will work on that!

1 Like

Very nice Greg. I thought you did a good job at mixing it up a bit, good vocals too.

A great idea from @DavidP as well. I think that should sound pretty sweet.

2 Likes

Good stuff Greg. Perhaps add a bit more strumming dynamic and add in the lead riff a few more times and you’ve got it nailed.
Well done.

1 Like

Thank you I will keep working at it!

You keep a steady rhythm (even if small, you mostly keep doing am inimal up and down movement with your strummign hand)
While this rhythm is going, you “tell” the song like a story and I like that.

I agree that you are more than welcome to express that storytelling dynamic a little more; since we all seem to feel the extra potential there.
Be wary not to abandon the melody to much. That doesn’t mean you have to sing everything to spec, certainly not. Just try to have a good melodic singing/storytellign balance.

1 Like