Noise issue through amp and pedals

Hi everyone!

I struggle with a lot of static noise from the amp. Especially when its connected through a distortion, looper and wah pedal. Almost like something being grounded. Hard to explain. Noise is very loud and very unplessant. Anyone have an idea?

So I donā€™t have personal experience solving this issue but I did have a conversation with an employee at my local guitar shop about amp noise. He went on to tell me that the wiring in his older home and the type of lighting he had (recessed can lights), was causing excessive noise in his amp. He paid an electrician to update the wiring and lighting in that room because he was trying to record his work. He claimed that fixed his issues. I wish I could elaborate more for you but maybe others here can contribute to this concept?
Maybe try taking your gear to a friends house for a test!

Hmm.
I live in a brand new appartment, so not sure about that is the issue here.

The noise is almost as as bad as the moment you plug in the guitar. But constantā€¦ helps a bit to turn down gain on amp. But need gain when playing :grin:

Problem occours when its all connected through pedals. If i plug directly into amp the noise is much better but still thereā€¦

This thread may be relevant:

Cheers,

Keith

In my long, hard experience as a trade, ā€œnewā€ does not mean much. Things you canā€™t see (like wiring) are always the first victims of cost cutting exercises by house builders attempting to maximise profits.

I would definitely take Kevinā€™s advice about taking your gear elsewhere first, to confirm that itā€™s definitely your gear and not some other kind of local interference.

Hi tRONd, there are a lot of possible causes for the static/hiss that you are getting. Noise generated by the electric power supply is one and you can buy devices that can ā€˜cleanā€™ that up but these devices range in price and might not solve the problem. To help diagnose the cause start with your amp on a clean setting and no pedals or even your guitar plugged in. If it still ā€˜hissesā€™ then its probably either the power supply or there is something going on in the amp. If the amp is relatively silent then start by just plugging in the guitar. If there is no, or very little hiss, at low volume then keep turning up the volume to see when the hiss starts to become noticeable. If you start getting hiss as you crank up the volume consider reducing the gain or take a bit off the treble. If your amp/guitar is relatively hiss free until you plug in your pedals then it could be the gain/level/drive on one of your pedals is too high or it could be one of your cables. Try adjusting the levels on your pedals and if that doesnā€™t work then consider changing out the cables. Finally, if you have a ā€˜Hi Gainā€™ tube amp like a Marshall then the ā€˜hissā€™ is part of the charm. You can clean up the sound a fair bit but with a Hi Gain amp you will always have some hiss present. How much is too much? - If you can hear the hiss over the music then youā€™ve definitely got a problem and that will probably be in the amp - most likely one of the tubes need replacing - replacing a tube is very inexpensive and can be done pretty quickly. Hope this will help.

1 Like

Hi tRONd, just endorsing @MilosPā€™s approach above but also adding a suggestion in case helpful/relevant. I recently put together a pedalboard (really basic with only a tuner, looper and Drop pedal along with my Katana footswitch but have since added a distortion & tube squasher). When connecting this to my amp, I got lots of noise. The pedals are all running off a daisy chain power supply. I did some research and someone mentioned that the Drop & looper pedals can often be a problem and suggested shifting them to the start of the power supply chain. Which I did and it helped dramatically! So I have the looper pedal 1st, Drop pedal 2nd, then tuner followed by tube squasher and distortion. So just throwing this out there in case juggling the order of power supplies is something you havenā€™t tried yet before having to spend more coin :wink:

You can try walking around the room turning different directions with your guitar plugged in. If the noise changes than that would indicate something like lights or other things causing interference. And if you can run the pedals on battery and the noise goā€™s away that would be a noisy power supply(I got one like that). Try going to a different room and using a different outlet. Things like computers and stuff on the same circuit can cause noise. Bad groundā€¦ interference noise can be a nightmare to track down. and in an apartment it could even be something that another tenant has plugged in.

Dave