Waited secured in a cabinet for over a year while I played other guitars, my new LP in particular. Now it’s time to apologise and renew my acquaintance with this nice Danelectro D59X. Looks like it will need some setup corrections…
That looks cool, Tomasz, I’m not familiar with those mmm
Hi Hec,
They used to be more popular some time ago, especially when they were still made in US, but even now many musicians play them. A version with two lipsticks is more commonly used. Jimmy Page recorded Kashmir playing a Danelectro and Mark Knopfler regularly uses one live for the song Boom, Like That (and probably for some others, too).
Mine is Korean made, and the neck P90 sounds great. The double lipstick can be split. The body is hollow except for the centerblock making it relatively lightweight.
Way to go Tomasz!
Seems to me a very good way to have a new guitar day to me.
A reasonably priced new guitar day at that. ![]()
I’ve got one of them in the back room too. But mine needs more than a set up. I keep procrastinating about it.
I figure one of these days, I’ll just have to have a different guitar. When that happens, that’s the one I’ll go find.
Enjoy your new found fun man! ![]()
You Danelectro does look like fun too. Looks to be in great shape also. Again, way to go!
Fun, Fun, Fun!
Hi Jim,
Yes, it’s in a nearly perfect shape. Interestingly, it was strung with a set of Elixirs some 18 months ago and they still sound OK! Well, the fact is, they weren’t played much… There’s an audible buzz of the 5th and 6th string around the 5th fret; I still need to figure out whether I have to adjust the neck relief or raise the bridge tiny little bit. I do it all the time with all my guitars, so I should be fine with this one. too.
Oh, and thanks for your comment, Jim ![]()
Hey Tomasz!
Nice Dani!!! I’ve had a hankering for a Danelectro DC12 for quite a while!!! I just recently discovered that Peter Buck of R.E.M. uses one regularly for it’s sparkly, bright sound! Your D59 X (the fifty-niner!) should have the signature Danelectro tone for sure!
Found this which I thought was interesting (hope you don’t mind a slight detour from your NGD thread
):
Have fun!!!
Tod
I certainly don’t, Tod, on the contrary, I read the article with a great interest, as I had no idea about all those guitarists who played a Danelectro, just mentioned the two I’ve seen playing it. That Longhorn version is a beast… ![]()
I hope to make mine playable soon. I bought it five years ago at Thomann, and played it almost exclusively for about a year, then I switched to a Les Paul clone, as I’ve always loved that design.
Thanks a lot for the comment and for quoting that extremely interesting article.
Those are really cool guitars. They are very “mid-west Emo” style. They have a very cool sound. You will have a lot of fun with it.
