Nothing Else Matters

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah finger style for me, I must have skipped through the early pick lessons, can’t get the same dynamic range with a pick but going to give that another go while revisiting the earlier modules.

I think pick is going to be quite essential for solos / lead.

I guess that might depend. For example, Mark Knopfler does OK on lead with his fingers :wink:

1 Like

Oh and as you mentioned blues, I read the other day that Hubert Sumlin only played with his fingers.

1 Like

Ha, you are sapping away my motivation for picking up that pick :grin:

1 Like

Hi Dave
Good work. Sounds like it is coming along nicely. This reminded me that this is on my list of songs I would like to try and get under my fingers this year.
Thanks for sharing.
Steve

1 Like

While I don’t want to sap any motivation, check out Ritchie Kotzen playing without a pick (don’t miss the solos):

That video is also cool for watching some of the things he’s doing while performing live. He backs off the vocal mic a bit when he’s belting something out. You can also see him roll his guitar volume up when he transitions from the rhythm playing and goes into the lead/solos, and rolls it back down after the solos. Also, near the end of the second solo (and the song), he has some kind of gear issue (you can hear his gain drop suddenly), and he handles it without a blip. I bet many in the audience didn’t even notice. This guy is a great player.

1 Like

Love it :smiley:

@J.W.C @Nicx

Well I stand corrected, I was all like yeah a bit of finger style for a nice mellow tone.

This guys guitar is screaming,
Truly inspirational.

1 Like

I’d never heard of him but that’s a lovely rendition of Sara Smile and some brilliant guitar playing.

Yeah, he’s a beast, but not very well known. I first became aware of him back in the 80s. He was one of the young shredders in the Shrapnel Records stable (think Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, et alii). I kind of lost track of him after that, but later heard he joined Poison as a kind of hired gun (much like Vai joined Whitesnake as a hired gun). He apparently had an affair with the Poison drummer’s fiance and got fired from that gig. Then he replaced Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big. All through this I guess he was doing solo stuff, too, but like I said, he wasn’t on my radar for some time.

When I noticed him, again, was when he joined up with Billy Sheehan (of David Lee Roth’s band and Mr. Big, etc.) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater drummer) to form The Winery Dogs. That’s one heck of a trio, and I caught a live show at a club, which blew me away. Then I started checking out Kotzen’s solo work and stuff on youtube.

Another good song from his solo stuff:

Ooh. Nice bass playing. Thanks for sharing.

@liaty - Apologies for the tangent in your thread!

1 Like

Well if you want to pick up the pick pick it up but I guess no reason to feel like you have to :grin:

@J.W.C Kotzen is quite the player and performer, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

“Apologies for the tangent in your thread!”

No probs, this is great stuff.

Just re watched brothers in arms live, listened to in a hundred times, never noticed the lack of pick.

May be one for a guitar challenge? I haven’t done much in the way of soloing and don’t have a volume/swell pedal but would be a good one to go at. Maybe another long term one.

I’ll have a look at creating a drum backing track at the weekend, maybe some synth lines to keep track….

1 Like

Been a long time since I’ve listened to Metallica. Sounds great! What do you want to get out of going back to grade 2? Anything specifically?

1 Like

Cheers @Thejoechoi

I always seem to get impatient and skip ahead. Then I feel like I’m missing some of the basics. Like trying the blues licks to start learning to solo but not being able to put together a 12 bar blues rhythm track in the looper pedal.

Breath and depth is what I’m after I suppose.

Justin has a good disciplined philosophy so I’ll do that for a bit before heading off again to try my own stuff.

:thinking:

really good, well done!

1 Like

That sounds great! Did you play it for your valentines? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m going to visit often your recording and maybe ask you for some tips. I’m currently learning this song too and there are a few parts that I’m struggling with. Did you follow Justin’s video lesson?

Could you explain to me a bit more what do you mean with the sticking out index finger?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

:metal::guitar:

Thanks Edgar @Rumil Ha :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, no unfortunately I have to join online forums for positive feedback on my guitar playing :grin:

Yeah, a mixture of Justin’s lessons and Carl Brown Nothing Else Matters Guitar Lesson Pt.1 - Metallica - Intro & Chords - YouTube

So I am revisiting some of the earlier modules in Justin’s course and in the F-Chord lesson he talks about the index finger sticking out too much The Easiest F Chord Guitar Lesson You'll Find :) - YouTube @4:50

now I found that I have been doing this, and it means that when I come to play a bar chord with the root note on the A string (5th) I cannot easily get a clean chord, I normally play these A string bar chords also with my finger covering / over the low E string. This hasn’t been a problem - until now. Learning this song I have had to ‘cheat’ and only play selected notes form the chord that I can hit cleanly.

But this is what I generally do, I will watch tutorials from a few different sources and then patch them together to make ‘my own’ version. I like it this way because then I can attempt to learn any song and just add the more complex bits in once I know a bit more.

Welcome to the community, happy to help, you may be able to provide me with some feedback on my pronunciation if I ever learn the lyrics to Tuyo by Rodrigo Amarante, I know he is Portuguese but Tuyo is in Spanish :slightly_smiling_face: :es:

1 Like

No prob, you can share with us any love song like this one anytime :blush:

Oh, I see. I think I didn’t pay too much attention to that warning. Fortunately, it seem I’m not doing it too much. Bar chords are so difficult to get them nice… I’m practicing Little Talks by Of Monsters And Men | JustinGuitar.com to improve them.

That sounds great. I asked because I realized some bits you played aren’t as in Justin’s lesson. And I really liked you way of playing it :slight_smile:

Thank you! glad to be here. Sure! Anything I can help with

1 Like