Nothing Else Matters

Nothing screams happy valentine’s more than Metallica.

This is at the limits of my abilities.

!Warning! Horrible clipping, using headphone output because it’s the middle of the night…
Laptop mic headroom <> amp headroom :roll_eyes:

I’ll try and mic the amp next time.

One more to go then I’ll be posting progress of beginner modules. Back at level two, should have stuck around the first time, in the F chord lesson, Justin describes exactly the sticking out index finger you can see in the video and predicted the issues it causes - see A-string bar chord walk down cheats….

24 Likes

Nice tones here Dave. You’re aware of what you want to improve upon. Good job.

1 Like

That was great, Dave, fine playing and sounded pretty good. Whether you choose to sing or not is neither here nor there to me, I’ll be happy to look and listen to you play all day long.

1 Like

And then of course , For whom the bell tolls…or ,Fight fire whith fire…Fade to black, Creeping death…etc… :grin:

Fortunately, your boundaries have already been stretched quite a bit :sunglasses:
Greetings, Rogier

1 Like

Given your own self criticism I think you played it very well, if I were to nitpick I think you should look at your dynamics, there were bits where the loudness was either higher or lower than ideal; that said at your level it was very good.
Going back and covering your weaknesses is a great idea, I often do that myself - after playing for nearly 60 years and given my age it’s so easy to forget things :joy:

1 Like

Cheers @DarrellW. Absolutely, the tone I’m searching for calls for high gain with a delicate touch. Still at sausage drumsticks level playing :grin: but determined to get there…

1 Like

:grin: bloody hell, I haven’t got this one down yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks very much Roger

Apart from few glitches and moments when input was way to high it was pretty awesome. I kept it steady at slow tempo which is pretty difficult.

1 Like

For this bit you want a clean tone
Mesa type amp simulation

• Gain: 3
  • Bass: 5
  • Mids: 4
  • Treble: 6
  • Reverb: 3

For the Distortion Section
Mesa type amp simulation

• Gain: 8-9
  • Bass: 9
  • Mids: 2-4
  • Treble: 5-9
  • Reverb: 3
    Try to see what sounds right
    If you don’t have Amp sims then mess around those settings until it sounds best.

Thanks @DarrellW I’ll have a mess about.

1 Like

Nicely done, Dave. I think you’ve got the tempo and feel of this down very well, and you’ve already identified areas to work on and improve, so that’s great. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nice!! I quite enjoyed that well done

1 Like

That was really good Dave! Well done, such a beautiful and difficult song to play. The more you practice the less hickups you will have along the way. Now onto the solo huh? :smiley: All the best.

1 Like

I thought that was good! Play what you want even if it makes you stretch and take chances. I’ll take what you played over a lot of covers that I’ve heard that were carbon copies. Well done!

1 Like

Nicely done Dave.

Don’t really know Metallica songs but I enjoyed what you offered.

1 Like

It’s such a cracking solo too, should keep me motivated…

1 Like

Dark it is Mr, Gregg,
Well played, deep bassy tone. Keep up the good vibe and work!

Rock it down some more,
LB

1 Like

I practiced the beginning of this song on an acoustic last summer, and somewhere my fingers didn’t do what I wanted them to do (I still need a lot of practice :blush:). So I stopped the practice of that song, hoping one day I would be able to continue.
Today I watched you playing this, and I think it went smooth and easy (that’s what it seemed to me), the tones were flowing quite nice. It’s an inspiration to see you, so I definitely will take up that song again… . Thanks for posting

1 Like

I’m no expert on Metallica but that sounded damn good to me. Just out of Interest I couldn’t see if you were using a pick or playing finger style?
I tend to favour fingers for most of my playing but I’ve just started using a pick for some blues lead and rythm stuff.
Almost feels like starting again.
Well done on this rendition.
Great work :+1:

1 Like

Thanks

Just keep it in your play list, practice what you can do and the rest will come with time.

It’s amazing what you can learn when at first you try and your fingers just say no!

I’m always simplifying the bits I can’t quite do yet too. Apply a bit of Justin’s theory work…

1 Like