Notter - March 2022 - Pink Floyd, Green Day, Oasis, Eric Clapton

Well done, Mark. It’s good to see some more Oasis fans in the community. Looking forward to what you share next.

1 Like

Thanks @Sarahsus2, definitely more to come!!

@swashata no I didn’t know that about the links, thanks for the tip and for your comments, persist with the playing and singing. I can’t really say I’ve got it yet, it works with that song but it took a lot of practice, at the moment it’s very much song by song, I can’t just start with a pattern and immediately sing with it at all!! Practice will be our friend, stick with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s a yes from me Velvet Voice :yum:

1 Like

:innocent: Thanks Maggie! Told you I wouldn’t stop :wink:

1 Like

I’d be upset if you did :bat:

Hey Everyone…
I recorded this song a while ago but as individual tracks (rhythm, vocals and licks) so wanted to try and get the rhythm and vocals combined which is what this video is. I’m taking Rod’s approach of if it’s “good enough, send it” as there’s a few sloppy D chords in there that came out after hitting the record button but overall I’ll take it right now and there’s other songs to work on. I’m going to revisit at some point though for sure.

Capo on first fret to get the song more in my range which I feel like has helped and I was trying to concentrate more on vocals in this so hopefully it comes across a bit more confident.

As an aside, I tried doing this standing up as Lieven suggested on my last AVOYP and it’s coming along slowly but I’m beginning to get a feel for it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy! - Mark.

13 Likes

It’s coming along well, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re getting the feel for playing standing up Mark. I think you’ll find a great deal of benefit in it. I have an idea it will liberate you in so many ways.

As I watch you, there is so much tension in your body, your face, your jaw. You’re hunching over the guitar too. Standing up will remedy a great deal of this. It’s also easier to use a mic standing.

You know I love your voice. I want to hear the best of it. Get closer to your mic, explore the possibilities of your breath. You may also want to experiment with the position of the neck of your guitar.

3 Likes

Thanks Maggie, you’re absolutely right on the seated posture, it seems a bad habit I have got into that needs work anyway.
The practice I’ve been doing standing has been noticeable in terms of feeling a bit looser, controlling the guitar neck feels very odd at this point and in some ways it seems my fretting hand is a little bit lost. But for the few song run throughs where it worked it felt pretty good.
Thank you for your words of encouragement and taking the time! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also should have asked do you have strap locks on your guitar? An absolute must. @TheMadman_tobyjenner may jump in here with a graphic illustration.

Oh yeah I hear you on the fretting hand feeling lost. You’ll find that as you learn new songs standing up it will feel more natural. You won’t have the muscle memory of playing sitting down to change.

1 Like

Strap locks present and correct Maggie!

Close? Puleeeeeze, yes I enjoyed it very much Mark.

I cheated when I started Justin Guitar on December 25th last year I can’t remember where I heard it or read it but it was if you only practice and play sitting, playing standing will be different and take some getting used to. So I have ever only practiced and played standing. In fact, I have tried sitting and I can’t do it!:grin:. Standing is the way to go but I don’t know any other way.

Mark and PRS rocks!….Rod

1 Like

Very nice Mark, great vocals, steady changes and rhythm.

Some great advice there from Maggie as well.

So, standing is the new sitting huh? I think I’m going to have to give this a go. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Mark,
another good one… :sunglasses:
And for the rest I have nothing to add to what Maggie has told you… Oooo if you develop further :microphone: :guitar: :dizzy: :star_struck:

1 Like

Mark,
Ditto on what Maggie said…

Nice voice there… you should really give it some attention and feature it IMHO.

On your mix it sounds like you are panning 100% left and right. If so, try bringing them closer to center as they will mesh better I think.

Great job and keep on with the vibe you have going!
LB

2 Likes

Good job Mark, well done. I enjoyed your version of this classic.
So standing up is the new sitting down! I’ve never tried standing up and playing, I must give it a go. I’ll have to buy a strap first though. :smile:

1 Like

@LBro thanks for the comments!
Curious on your point on panning, I’m using Logitech Capture as my recording software at the moment and a Scarlett 2i2 as the audio interface, are you saying you’re hearing all guitar on left and all vocals on right (or vice versa)? Not sure if I can change the mix in that software but I’ll look. Thanks for pointing that out!

Need to channel my air guitar hero @Rod58 :rofl:

1 Like

Great performance Mark, sung and played that well! Your best video yet I reckon.

I have a really similar setup to you. Yes, if you record the audio using LogiCapture it records input 1 from your 2i2 as left and input 2 as right. The easy way to fix this is to open up the Windows sound control panel, go to microphones, and change the properties of the Scarlett 2i2 microphone to single channel, 24 bit. That will mix them and you can keep recording the same way. HOWEVER if you use a DAW you will need to change it back!

The other way to get upgraded audio is to use a DAW, the 2i2 comes with ableton. Then you can add guitar tone, reverb, etc. Downside is you have to edit, and then use a 3rd program to mix the video and audio together, so it’s a bit more work.

2 Likes

Nothing left for me to say but bravo Mark, well played and sung. You are doing well, making great progress. Keep doing what you’re doing.

2 Likes