Notter's AVOYP - July 2023 - She Talks to Angels

Thanks Mari and interesting comments on the tuning, I’ll look at open d at some point :+1:

1 Like

Nice seeing you again Mark! And wow!! That was a great performance.
Its quite clear that you have been playing and practised a lot since i last watch youre avoyp…
Really really well done!! Im impressed!
And such a great somg choise, forgotten all about the black crows

1 Like

Can’t remember what we did it in but I recall moving the capo around, as my vocals were pretty restricted back then. :rofl: And I’m sure I went for Open D, capo on 2nd when I started to learn it. Must revisit ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Check out the album “Shake Your Money Maker”. And as Mark mentioned above somewhere “The Southern Harmony And Musical Collection”. Some solid Blues Rock for sure. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey Mark. That really sounded great. Impressive picking and strumming; gliding smoothly up and down the fretboard; pleasing vocals.

Your guitar sounds rich. I’m curious about it - I read some of your learning log, but if you mentioned it, I missed it. I saw somewhere you’ve had it about a year I think. Care to share what it is?

Anyway, great job!

1 Like

Hi Pamela, thank you!
The guitar is a Faith Venus Cut - Blood Moon edition, they’re from then UK. I love it dearly and it wasn’t what I was going to buy when I went to get an acoustic!

Bit more of a backstory to it in this thread if you’re interested.

1 Like

Hi Mark, so good to hear from you and what a way to jump back in! Superb! Playing and singing both sounding great! :clap: :star_struck:
Such a great song from an outstanding band so an excellent choice! Interesting to hear about Open E tuning on this one, not a tuning I have tried.
I noted a couple of moments of frustration in your face when missing the odd harmonic. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it above, skimmed the comments but didn’t read them thoroughly, however it looked to me that your fretting finger wasn’t targeting directly above the fret to get the harmonic to ring out. Tricky to do as a quick transition, so not a criticism, just a comment in case it was useful for your practice? :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks again for posting this, thoroughly enjoyed it!
Best wishes,
Jeff :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Jeff!

No actually nobody’s mentioned the harmonics and I’m now super pleased I put on my frustrated face because otherwise you would not have shared this nugget :

I had literally done no research on how to play the harmonic other than watch the bands performance of this on the Howard Stern show and trying to copy Rich Robinson’s movements with his fretting hand. This now totally explains why I found it so hit and miss (hence my head shakes in the video!). I just assumed you fretted in the usual spot and it was just about touch and feel on lifting your finger. To be fair to myself (!) prior to recording they were sounding good with my bad technique, but not consistent. What you’ve given me above I’ve just tried and holy moly it only works like a champ and another winning tip from the community, have a special “You’ve Helped Notter Today” badge :wink:

Legend mate, thank you!

1 Like

You’re most welcome, Mark! Glad it helped :smiley::+1:
Thanks again for sharing this top notch performance, I’ve enjoyed playing it through a couple of times, your voice fits perfectly with this one, great stuff! :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Mark! That was very beautiful, all the hard work has definetely paid off. Very smooth playing and …the singing is just superb! I enjoyed it very much even if I didn’t know the song :blush: Bravo!

1 Like

Beautifully played and sung Mark! I’m glad to see you back around here. You clearly have put a lot of work in on that song and it shows!

I really enjoyed this. More please! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Wow Mark, I hadn’t heard this song before but this was such a great cover!
The strumming variations, the vocals, and the little picking sections all blended in nicely… it’s up there with your best performances. Good to see you back.

1 Like

A few years back but the brothers got together again. A little pre chat but they’re playing your song :wink: Thought you’d enjoy this latter day version. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Cheers Toby, that’s a lovely performance of just the brothers. The Howerd Stern video I referenced above is more complete with drums, bass and a lead guitar.

This one is now the aspirational level :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing performance Mark, played with lot of charisma, confidence and style!

1 Like

Wow I’m late to this party. Very nicely done mark and great to see and hear your BMV. I Also see congrats are iin order for starting grade 3. :slight_smile:

R.

1 Like

Great to see you back and posting songs Mark. That was awesome and one to be proud of. Playing and singing were excellent.

Surely you just need another acoustic? :wink:

1 Like

That was great. :slight_smile: I enjoyed a lot the way you incorporated the dynamics: playing softer, more aggressive, etc.

And thanks for introducing me to this song. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mark,

What a song, what an album.
I played Shake Your Money Maker to death back in the day.
Saw them in 1990 supporting Dogs D’amour at our local rock venue (Rock City.) Blew the Dogs off the stage.

Very well played - guitar tone sounds great.
Nice job on the vocals.

Digger

1 Like

Mark, that was a great performance and i really enjoyed it. Your playing and sings started out good and got better the more you played. I have just put this on my must learn list, since I had not come across this song yet (I haven’t look at any Grade 5 songs yet) Thanks for such a great cover.

1 Like