Notter's AVOYP - March 2023 - Lithium (08/03); Don't Look Back in Anger (06/03)

Thanks so much Silvia! It’s been a difficult choice to not sing with these but I want to complete my consolidation list and getting the singing right would add a lot of time!! I’ll revisit to do vocals on these at some point though for sure :ok_hand:

Appreciate you checking these both out :slightly_smiling_face:

Nirvana again, guys you really spoil this teenage rebel in me :laughing: you sounded really good Mark, not too far away from Kurt’s fancy stuff for sure!

1 Like

Cheers Adi, Teen Spirit was blasting out of our 6th form common room when it came out so I’m with you there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t Look Back is a real stand-up performance.:+1: but Nirvana was my fav. :clap:t2:. Sounding good, Mark.

1 Like

Cheesy brother! Well I guess the cheese name has stuck, Cheddar and Fromage (the fancy french one apparently, had to google that) are guitar brothers from other mothers.

Great to see these AVOYPs Mark. Both were great, played really well. I thought Lithium was better than the Oasis one. Because I like the song better :rofl:. Timing was great. Playing was confident.

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen you tone switching while playing? Are you doing that through your Yamaha THR? I’m curious on your pedal setup.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Only being fancy and going the french route to tip a hat to my family background, but yes the name’s certainly stuck, it just makes me smile thinking of the conversation to get there in the OM green room!!

Thanks for checking both of these out. I tone switched in my second OM on Boulevard of Broken Dreams, albeit badly!! I’m using an Airstep on the THR, a 5 button pedal which you can set in a variety of ways, either to turn on / off specific effects, toggle effects and scroll between presets or to simply switch between the 5 presets. I’m doing the latter in the Lithium recording, the guitar is on bridge humbucker pickup. I’ve got the beginnings of a proper pedalboard running through the Blackstar bigboy amp but I’m not really recording through that so much yet.

More Nirvana on the way I think, that was alot of fun to play I have to admit.

2 Likes

Nice one Mark. I came back after I saw you posted Lithium. Another stellar job mate! Really well played!

1 Like

Super cool, Mark! Both great tracks and you’ve got them nailed! :clap: :star_struck: Looking nice and relaxed with your rhythm and the chord changes following smoothly, great job!

Plus the Fromage is sounding tasty mate! :cheese: :yum: :sweat_smile:

Excellent! :metal::smiley:

1 Like

Well guys it is just written in the stars, cheese-y guitars, both of you covered Nirvana song as last - this collab NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW! :guitar::guitar::cheese::cheese:

3 Likes

Ah, that’s neat. I didn’t know THRs could be controlled by pedals. I looked into the Airstep before I got my Fender amp, they seem pretty flexible. I don’t have a pedalboard, just the amp’s pedal - which admittedly can do a lot, similar to the Airstep.

Lol, I haven’t heard that song for a long time, not since I was a teenager listening to Nirvana daily. :rofl:

How do people collaborate online anyway, you’ve done it a couple of times?

1 Like

Crikey I haven’t heard that for a long time too!!
I’m game if you are @jkahn but similarly interested in Adi’s advice there. First step deciding who plays what presumably! :wink:

Two very accomplished recordings there Mark. I especially like the Nirvana one, although they’re a band I haven’t given a lot of attention to. Need to have a look after that great performance. Well done sir!

1 Like

You’re making great progress, Mark. I’d say that you’ve definately beyond Grade 2 now. Though, I still want you to finish that list of consolidation songs particularly the Notter Original. I was expecting that one before Lithium :roll_eyes:

RE: Don’t Look Back In Anger
That was really good and confident performance. Noel would have been proud of you.

I think you are more than ready to tackle the individual note picking. So one to revisit for a future OM if you want to differentiate your AVoYP from your OM performance.

RE: Lithium - One of the few Nirvana songs that I enjoy outside of the unplugged album. You did very well with it mate. I enjoyed that one very much, it sounded really good. You’re playing was confident. Top stuff.

2 Likes

So how I did it in the past is to exchange files either via email or cloud drive (I used Google). If you guys serious about it and need a little help with that happy to chip in on production and PM side of things :grinning:

Thanks alot James! The building of anticipation on an original worries me slightly :wink: :rofl: Don’t set the expectations too high! The consolidation list is set now after a couple of adjustments I explained in my latest LL update, with these 2 songs done I think I’m down to 4 left to go :slight_smile:

@adi_mrok - appreciate that mate. @jkahn - what do you reckon? Not a particularly complex song looking at it on UG.

1 Like

Wow! Mark, those two were great. Your playing was top notch and your tones were fantastic. Nice to see you standing up. Your consolidation is coming along nicely, if not complete and ready to step into grade 3.

1 Like

Catching up, Mark. As far as I am concerned the guitar could have been the original, only the mixing gives it away.

Though Nirvana are too young for me … or I was just not in the right place to become enamoured with the grunge era (or Brit PoP for that matter). So can’t comment on how alike your two tones were compared to the original. But soudned good and you handled the pedal dancing well.

I can only say you did a good job and I have no idea about Kurt’s ‘fancy stuff’ so can’t comment on how far you may be off that. But perhaps not too far off as I can’t imagine his fancy stuff being too fancy, compared to say, Blackmore, SRV, Knopfler et al. Must quickly add that his rhythms are nevertheless too fancy for me to master at this stage.

1 Like

That’s a sentence that’s made me smile with pride David! Thank you sir :pray:

1 Like

I’d say you had grade 2 consolidation well in the bag and then some, I loved both recordings and would really hope to see you perform Don’t Look Back in Anger at an OM :pray:t3: :clap:t2: :smiley:

1 Like

Great work on both recordings Mark, sounding as smooth a ripened Brie, dripping under the sun ! Love the crunch on Lithium. Have you considered one of these :rofl:

1 Like