Notter's AVOYP - March 2023 - Lithium (08/03); Don't Look Back in Anger (06/03)

Getting the ball rolling for March and ongoing Grade 2 wrapping up. No vocals on this one for 2 reasons, a slight bout of Covid unfortunately and also because at this point I don’t want to take the additional time to get vocals sorted when the focus is on rounding out my Grade 2 song list so I can allow myself to move on. Not doing vocals on this also makes it open, in my mind at least, for a potential OM use (me, an OM and an Oasis song? Surely not…!!). Plus it’s fun to be playing along to the app again, it’s been a while. I decided to go with bridge pickup in humbucker mode to give a little bite as the original would do, makes a change from my default tone on the now christened “Fromage” PRS :wink:

Rightly or wrongly I’ve also allowed myself a little bit of slack in “perfection” recording with a couple of initially muted F’s in here but it’s only a couple :wink: . This is a good test of consistent rhythm strumming from a consolidation perspective along with the F work. Plus, as an added bonus, your eyes are not deceiving you, I am standing up!!

Thanks for listening :+1:

Lithium: Notter's AVOYP - March 2023 - Lithium (08/03); Don't Look Back in Anger (06/03) - #19 by Notter

24 Likes

Looked smooth and relaxed, Mark, sounding pretty good. You did well when switching into the 1/16 note or pumping 8s part.

Some of the strumming did look a little stiff/choppy at times, but maybe that was digging in, heavier attacks.

IMO, you could play and sing this in AVOYP and it would still be open for OM use. That of course could be me being self-serving, since many of my OMs performances have been of songs played over the years on AVOYP. But learning to perform the song well, perhaps from memory and ultimately do so live for an in-person audience means nothing wrong with repetition.

1 Like

Thanks David for checking this out!

You’re right of course on your comment with an AVOYP still being good for OM, I’ll certainly keep my previous ones in mind for my next sign up!

Perfect.
Have fun!!!

1 Like

Excellent job and a song on my own list to cover one day! I don’t remember where justin places the song in grades but I’d consider this an intermediate song (in the rock song book it’s designated as such) so you are killing it for grade 2 consolidation. I know I know you didn’t do some of the fancy single note stuff, but it still has some pretty fast tough changes so kudos.

1 Like

Hey Alexis, thank you buddy! Seems to be a theme that a lot of my grade 2 songs are not actually grade 2 :joy::joy:. I don’t care though, they’re all fun and if anything they will set me up well to head into grade 3.

Thanks for the listen and comments man, appreciate it :+1:

1 Like

Mark, it sounds good to me. I think that you are setting yourself up for easy studies in Grade 4, when you start learning E and A form barre chords. I’m jealous of your longer fingers. You’ll be able to form more barre chord forms than I will (like D form). In my video, you notice that my index finger barely crosses the fretboard on my F chords :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy:
Thanks Steve, I think the only barre chord shape I’ve not covered through my consolidation list is C, which frankly seems a nightmare from the couple of songs I’ve stumbled across with them in.

Appreciate the listen and comments :+1:

1 Like

Good for now, not so much fun for 3 finger A at the beginning :wink:

1 Like

Really enjoyed that Mark. I am a big Oasis and NG fan so that was a real treat. You looked really comfortable standing and playing and you got a really nice sound out of the guitar. Loved it!

Hey Eddie, appreciate that alot from a fellow Oasis fan, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done, you seemed nicely locked in to the beat with steady strumming and looked comfortable with the standing too.

1 Like

Hey Mark that was really good, especially enjoyed the tone coming from your cheese axe! :smiley: Really well played, get that ironed out before next OM and would be great to sing along to (while on mute of course on my end)! This song is on my Spotify “To Learn” playlist as well, but I’ll leave it for now until you get that one bottomed out on one of our Open Mics :smiley: all the best!

1 Like

Cheers Adi, don’t wait on me to crack on with it :wink:
I’m starting to think just a little more abotu what pickup selector setting to use with songs now, rabbit hole here we come!!

1 Like

Oh yes tones are a rabbit hole, don’t even start thinking about those knobs on your sim/modelling amp! :smiley: cause that will get you sucked in for good!

:slight_smile: I’m still only working with 5 presets that I’ve only subtly messed with in the THR, quite handy for Lithium actually which I’m working on now for switching between verse and chorus but beyond that no doubt it would / will get very messy! :rofl:

1 Like

Nice one Mark, that flowed well. Not a big fan of Oasis, but I enjoyed you playing this. Nothing more to add, really. Well done, good timing throughout. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Good stuff Mark, steady strumming throughout. I wouldn’t have noticed your F ‘s if you hadn’t pointed them out! Standing up, that’s something I’ve been experimenting with recently too. Takes a little getting used to.
Your consolidation is right on track. Well done.

1 Like

Round 2 for March and onto some power chord fun and games. This has been in my slow learning list since Justin’s lesson on it last August. I’ve not gone into any of Kurt’s fancy stuff yet but will do at some point as this one’s an absolute riot to play. A bit of footswitching involved and alternate tuning of DGCFAD to play along to the original via Spotify.

“Fromage” can grunge :wink:

14 Likes

Oasis - Wow Mark, you did a great job, it sounds really good! I loved especially the dynamics you put into the strumming, starting with Old Faithful and then adding strums and go with different patterns, it kept my ear interested all the way through.
Now there’s a second recording here […]

[…] Nirvana - Another great one, it sounds really cool, I thought the Rhythm was going along very nicely with the track. I wish I could practice strumming without singing, I would probably progress faster…but I just can’t help it, I have to sing first and the Rhythm gets often all messed up :see_no_evil::joy:

1 Like