NPD - Equalizer -

Hello interested people :smiley:

I present to you The Boss Equalizer GE-7

Last weekend, 5 of my 8 pedals were moved to a higher position to get to know them better and I had not yet been able to try the Equalizer at all ā€¦ (and I had not worn the Delay after a day a long time ago)ā€¦
Itā€™s normal for me to set up a pedal and then just turn the on/off and the buttons remain untouchedā€¦in most cases because I canā€™t get to them easily,(and also because I am easily satisfied (not to be confused with laziness, please :roll_eyes:)ā€¦but because of the Equalizer, I could still remember how important Tim Pierce thought it was ,I decided to tackle this more seriously :sunglasses:

And I must say that I am very happy with this pedal, it makes the tones brighter with a simple hand gesture and with the middle sliders raised slightlyā€¦ but the gain is much dirtier when it is on ā€¦ in the position it is currently in and that seems to be a favorite to dateā€¦ if I had known this I would have purchased it much soonerā€¦ I am sure I will enjoy it a lot, and I will also get better from my whole new setup. ā€¦especially the trio plus is only used in one way here :see_no_evil:

I used the pedal for a good 2 days but I am more than satisfiedā€¦and not entirely unimportant for some people is that it also brightens the tones of my accoustasonic guitarā€¦ and for the sake of completeness, this whole thing is played through a Vox AC-15 C1 tube ampā€¦

Hopefully this will help someone and if I canā€™t convince you or you want more informationā€¦Iā€™ll just look up the video I saw a long time agoā€¦

Greetings,Rogier

7 Likes

Video By Tim Pierce
One of his favorite pedals

Michael Banfield ,This video was below Timā€™s, but I didnā€™t watch it myself, but I definitely willā€¦
Have fun :sunglasses:

Happy NPD Rogier. Looks like there is a lot to be tinkering with there.

Do you think that it will be the same for this pedal or are you wanting to have a good fiddle with it?

Either way I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it in the coming years.

1 Like

Thank you Stefan,
Iā€™ll definitely try it out in different settingsā€¦but Iā€™m almost certain that once Iā€™ve found the sweet spot for me with the slightly brighter tones, it will probably stay there and/or only the leftmost bass slider will be changed. ā€¦I think maybeā€¦if all goes well I will play a tune with it and record it soon
and then with previous recordings you may be able to hear the difference ā€¦ although that may be disappointing (the different) due to the way I record :grimacing:
Greetings

1 Like

Errā€¦ maybe a dumb question, but why are all your pedals not raised to within reach of your hand?
I just presumed you had little to no lower limb control, in which case youā€™d be operating them manually?
You have a nice selection there, but I see no reverb. Is the Fender distortion and compression?
Iā€™ve never used one of those with a large footswitch. Do they take a lot of pressure to activate?
(You can obviously tell Iā€™ve been thinking a little more about tone last week :roll_eyes: :rofl:)

1 Like

Iā€™m convinced Rogier.
And Happy NPD!

While I may be convinced a eq pedal is a good idea. I ainā€™t moved on getting one, yet.

I was thinking about getting the cheapo joyo version.
The 6 band version.
I see the one you got splits in between the joyo versions. Looks like you got 8 bands, joyo, itā€™s either 6 or 10 I believe.

Anyways, a eq is on my short list of something to get.
My problem is, I like what I got going now, so Iā€™m in no particular hurry. Thinking it might be a good idea to have better frequency control though.

Wondering?
Why do you think a eq is better than the eq on my (or your) amps? Just more control at boosting/cutting certain frequencies?
I could see it being beneficial perhaps for the '65 prri I got. Sometimes the lows are a bit overwhelming on the prri amp. Specially when cranked up. Princetons get kinda flubby bass when cranked into natural distortion. Perhaps a eq I could cut the low frequencies for less flub?
Not that I crank it up much though as itā€™s kinda loud when turned up. Generally I donā€™t even get to natural distortion on my amp for how loud it gets.

Sounds like your playing a cool amp too. AC15. Nice! I understand that amp to be kinda loud too. :wink:
12w, 15w tube amps can be pretty darn loud, to me anyway.

1 Like

Good morning Brian @brianlarsen

Quite a good questionā€¦with simple answers because,

there is enough strength and control (for more than 2 years) to press the pedals ā€¦ bending over with that back is very difficult to often impossibleā€¦
The reverb is on the amplifier and a Stereo Chorus is on the floor (no need to be on other than on/off :grin: )
In addition, there is a polytune pedal tuner (highly recommended and, for me, worth every cent of that convenience)ā€¦
And then my comfort in difficult days/ when it`s raining or the sun is hot ā€¦the pedal I use the most after the tuning thing ā€¦ THE Ditto Looper, the fact that it is on the ground needs no explanation, right?

Yes it`s the Fender Compugilist also an amazing thing (and the hardest to kick on) now easier with my hands but a reason is the place where it is now compare to before ā€¦I think

:rofl: :joy:
you kill me early in the morning with all those questions :sweat_smile: ā€¦nice because I woke up wonderfully for the first time this year with the birds on the back (well back :smile:) ground

Hi Jim, @HappyCat
Thank you very much for your story and many questions i can not answer all :roll_eyes: :smile:
I havenā€™t looked into it any further than that one video from Tim P a long time agoā€¦ and the tones on my amp ā€œnormal channelā€ canā€™t be adjustedā€¦ the ā€œTop Boost channelā€ use is becoming more and more common for me the last weeks with a distortion sound for when Iā€™m in an extra creative moodā€¦and that in combination with that fender pedal gives an enormous amount of possibilities that Iā€™m only now starting to play withā€¦I havenā€™t had any neighbors for about 3 months but unfortunately thatā€™s overā€¦yes the amp can be quite loud, I discovered at the timeā€¦but also subtly soft enoughā€¦

Against my nature I sayā€¦donā€™t look any further and only start looking again when you feel/find/needā€¦donā€™t look if you are satisfiedā€¦buy a good bookā€¦course or whatever :smile:

Keep asking if you want/need but I I know very little about my guitar stuffā€¦often it doesnā€™t go any further than ā€˜Very happy with itā€™ or ā€˜Itā€™s fineā€™ or ā€˜BEEEPā€™ :grin:

Greetingsā€¦

1 Like

One major difference is that the EQ pedal, typically, is put in front of the amp. As such it can do several things:

1. It can ā€œrevoiceā€ the pickups on your guitar, by adding more bass or treble to make them sound more like a different type of pickup (e.g. make humbuckers sound more like single coils).

2. It can boost certain frequencies. In this respect it acts more like a boost pedal as it will drive the input of the amp more, but you can adjust the frequencies of the drive, thus emulating multiple types of boost pedal.

3. You can remove ā€œproblemā€ frequencies like bass (which can be too muddy) or high frequencies (that can sound fizzy or piercing) before they get into the amp and are amplified.

The other major difference is that the level of control you have on a multi-band EQ pedal is far greater than you get on a 2 or 3 band (occasionally 4 if you add ā€œpresenceā€) amp EQ, and the range of control is usually far greater. Most EQ ā€œtone stacksā€ on amps are quite basic filter circuits which are subtractive only, and operate over quite a broad range.

Multi-band EQ pedals have much tighter frequency bands than guitar amp EQ controls, and give you a much greater range to reduce frequencies as well as the ability to boost, which amp EQs normally donā€™t have.

As an aside, thereā€™s multiple type of EQ including the ā€œGraphic EQā€ @roger_holland has bought which is possibly the easiest and most visual and immediate to use, but thereā€™s also ā€œParametric EQsā€ which, normally, have fewer frequency bands, but much more control over the width (Q) centre frequency, and boost/cut level of each band, allowing you to be very precise at controlling problem frequencies. This is the type of EQ typically found on mixing consoles.

I would recommend an EQ pedal/effect to anyone, possibly over an overdrive, as it can act as an overdrive, but can also do a lot more. A lot of guitar players consider them to be a ā€œsecret weaponā€.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

By the way, If you have a Boss Katana, you have (as I recall) up to 3 EQs available to you if you use Boss Tone Studio; each one can be either graphic or parametric, and you have the ability to place them at various parts of the signal chain.

And thatā€™s on top of the standard 3 or 4 band amp EQ on the physical controls.

That gives you an incredible degree of tone shaping that I donā€™t think is available in many other amps and is one reason why, IMO, the Katana is so well regarded.

You could, for instance, use a graphic EQ at the start of the chain to to make dark-sounding pickups sound brighter (or vice versa), and/or to boost specific frequencies like a drive pedal whilst, at the same time, using the Global EQ configured as a parametric EQ to control boomy frequencies in a room.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

An EQ is an essential pedal IMO.

And so Jim @HappyCat
What is the most important thing you learned here? I would say If you have any questions about guitar gear call Keith ā€¦ :sunglasses:
Thank you @Majik for your extensive vision, which makes this a good reference work for me and people looking for information about EQ. and you have made me even happier with the pedalā€¦ thank you for that too :smiley:
Greetings

Buy pedals

2 Likes

EQā€™s with at least 5 different bands (like this one, it has 7) are great for tone shaping when dealing with higher gain sounds. It works like it as a drive pedal on its own, how it can manipulate your drive and distortion.

It is a good tool to have in your toolbox because in other cases it can work as a makeshift attenuator between pre- and power amp, a a slight clean boostor just a good way to be less in the way of your bassist in a band :stuck_out_tongue:

I often wondered why so many distortion pedals have so many buttons and only 3 EQ bands.
Thatā€™s what I like about Stone Deaf pedals etc, where you have a fun way to control the mid range

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if itā€™s ā€˜most importantā€™. But I surly did learn something (thanks @Majik ).
Iā€™d never considered that tone controls on amps generally cut frequency, but donā€™t add (boost). A eq pedal does.
The eq pedal is between the guitar and the amp and colors the input from the guitar prior to getting to the amp.
And it never dawned on me. Of the three amps I got for onboard eq. I got 1, 2 band, 1, three band (passive I think), and 1, 4 band (presence).
Thanks for the education.

I still think the eq pedal is something I want to pursue and itā€™s still at the top of my list of something I want to acquire.

Enjoy your new eq Rogier! Seems like they are a powerful tool to have in your toolbox.

2 Likes

Me neitherā€¦although there was a hint somewhereā€¦ :see_no_evil:

greetings

1 Like

Itā€™s the same with tone controls on most guitars and on hifi systems.

The tone circuits are usually fairly straightforward filters with the knob adjusting the strength of the filter.

Boosting the signal (in an analog amp) would require an additional amplifier stage to do the boosting (because ā€œboostā€ or ā€œgainā€ are synonyms for ā€œamplificationā€).

The EQ pedals have those amplifiers. Itā€™s rare, if ever, this sort of boost EQ is built into an amp.

The Vox amp @roger_holland shows the photo of, could be argued to be one that does: the ā€œtreble boostā€ channel is an amplifier circuit which favours the higher frequencies. Although, I believe, itā€™s actually an alternative pre-amp stage rather than an additional one. It just has a lot of the bottom end frequencies rolled off and so sounds brighter.

Doing this sort of EQ boost in the digital domain is fairly easy, which is why this sort of EQ effect is often available in digital amps and modeling pedals.

Cheers

2 Likes