NPD - Xotic SP Mini Compressor

I went with a mini pedal instead of the Keeley I had my eye on. I’ve got a small board, I Iike having all the pedals in the same orientation and less knobs is probably better for a tone rookie :wink:

And here’s my first board. I’m having a ton of fun experimenting… it can be distracting from actual practice so I’ve given myself a five minute FAFO routine :grin:

8 Likes

Cool pedal board. I had a look few weeks ago on JHS series 3 and they all look good.
Dont you miss reverb? I can some free space where it can fit. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I suspect that will be next :grin:

TBH, I’m not sure I fully understand why one would use a reverb pedal going into the preamp instead of the reverb built inside the amp, which is after the preamp. Wouldn’t the preamp change the character of the reverb?

1 Like

Hey Ashu, you’ll sound great with those pedals … but … only if you’re in tune!!
:wink:

4 Likes

@Beatup6String Huh, that is pretty advanced question for me.

I just got few pedals plugged in and they go brrr. Thats all matter now. :smiley:

1 Like

And yer board is looking nice and tidy as is right now.
Well done.

I got a reverb pedal a long time ago. Has all the reverb effects. It’s in a drawer out of service (has been for a good long while now).
I got reverb on my amps that works perfectly well. On board is more desirable to me that having access to 15 or so various forms of reverb. Just lightly added in spring reverb from the amps works wonders for me. imho, if ya didn’t have onboard reverb, that’s when the pedal could come into play easy.

Ya do got room for one more perhaps, and I’ll agree with the ‘mod’. Ya need a tuner.

fwiw, I got three pedals in use (no board to make it look tidy), and the tuner pedal is the one that won’t ever be removed. Of all the drawer full of pedals (not in use) I got. The tuner pedal is the most important one I got. Any sound I make sounds pretty poorly should I be out of tune. :wink:

1 Like

If you are going into a clean amp then using a reverb at the end of your pedal chain is going to be cool. If you are going into a high gain amp, then you might not like how that sounds.
The reverb in most amps is pretty limited, often using a simple spring tank and typically has little control other than the amount of reverb added to the dry signal. A reverb tank is also rather susceptible to vibrations or knocks. With a pedal you have a lot more control and options for how the reverb sounds.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard, Jim and Paul!

I do have clip-on tuners including a Peterson one… I need to read up on pedal tuners and why I might want them instead!

Between reverb and tuner pedals… I know what to add to my Santa list!

1 Like

That looks like an interesting compressor design. I guess they have a number of the typical compressor parameters assigned to the hi / low / mid switch, giving an initial start point for the amount of compression available to you; then I guess you can use the blend knob as fine tune.

1 Like

That seems to be how it works Simon!

They also have four internal DIP switches that control attack, release, high pass filter and input padding (or a low pass filter).

1 Like

Get the best of both worlds. A real spring reverb in a pedal. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

The OG famous
SurfyBear took the fender 6G15 out of the amp 50 years ago

I heard the metal one is the best.

1 Like

I don’t understand why you should put a tuner on a board when a clip on tuner is so practical takes up no space on the board. Or am I missing something? It seems that many people are quite limited for space on their board so why use that space when you could have a small clip on? Or is it because pedal tuners have a bypass for silent tuning ?

Yes … plus accuracy.
That said, I don’t have one now I don’t play live and clip-ons are more accurate then ever before.

2 Likes