Obsession with learning guitar!

You know a hobbyā€™s a keeper when rather than being most enthusiastic at the start and then gradually losing interest over the first few months, you find yourself becoming more and more obsessed with it! I think I might need help, find myself thinking about playing almost all the time :joy: the more I learn, the more I wanna know, practice, and play

14 Likes

I hear you loud and clear. For me itā€™s a lifestyle.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great attitude to have. I suggest to still take it one day at a time to avoid burn out. Playing guitar is awesome. Give yourself time to absorb everything. Good luck! The Justin Guitar method is the best Iā€™ve seen around.

Jeff

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly why I started scheduling one day off from playing each week. Before I did that, I was starting to find myself making excuses to skip practicing. With one scheduled day off, I donā€™t feel guilty about taking that day off, and I stay fresh and enthusiastic.

I might sometimes use that day to look up chord charts for new songs Iā€™m considering trying, or change strings, but I donā€™t play.

4 Likes

Pretty much the same for me as wellā€¦and if I wake up at night I find myself silently practising a strumming pattern or a melody in my headā€¦:hushed: ā€¦Iā€™m forcing a couple of days a week off from practice, I think it does me good :blush:

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand that if you are in the lucky circumstances to be able and allowed to play every day you will not play for one or more (???) days, I see that as lost hours that you can never make up for,ā€¦ .do you want to do something else, well do it, but denying yourself playing time is completely beyond meā€¦
Good luck to everyone, and enjoy playing the guitar :wink: :sunglasses: :sunflower:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Yeah love the drive but make sure you set goals and set out a good path. Otherwise you might end up with a ā€œguitar burn outā€ after a couple of months. Be methodical in both learning and planning!

2 Likes

Yeah I suppose you do whatever makes you happy, given lifestyle, goals, motivations etc. If youā€™re making good progress and youā€™re happy with it, and how it fits in with your life, then its working. Everyoneā€™s different.
Having said that, I couldnā€™t imagine not picking up a guitar in a 24hr period. I think thereā€™a lot of merit in daily playing, even if its only for 10 minutes. Steve Stine, a prominent guitar teacher puts it this wayā€¦" pick up the guitar on the days that you eat".

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

I play any day Iā€™m at home, I figure I might as well and it makes me feel good :relaxed: My practice routine is usually around 30mins so itā€™s easy to find the time. I know thereā€™ll always be occasions when Iā€™m away from home and am unable to play, so those give me some natural breaks once in a while.

Itā€™s only an obsession if you play guitar instead of eating or drinking and have abandoned your job and family because of it. Otherwise, play on playa! :guitar:

3 Likes

Crikey! Thatā€™s a serious obsession if it gets that far :unamused:
Although I must admit, being a divorced man and living alone, (not because of the guitar)!
I do have to consider how any new relationship would impact my playing time.
Crazy really!

2 Likes

HI, I like you am obsessed. I practice everyday. Iā€™m finding though that my ability to replicate the things that I learn is the frustrating bit. I think it may be because Iā€™ve never tried to make my hands do anything as precise and repetitive as playing guitar, so thereā€™s a disconnect between what I know and what I can do. It does improve with practice, so I think, for me at least, the key is practice. Attempting songs is the key for me, even when it seems a bit overwhelming, itā€™s where I see the biggest jumps in ability. I am loving this process.

1 Like

I have the same ā€œproblem!ā€ May there never be a cure!

3 Likes

Yeah for me it feels a bit like 2 steps forward, 1 step back sometimes. I find though that those days where I regress and forget how to play things I already learnt, are followed the next day by a leap forward in something else. So I guess even if you feel you donā€™t make progress sometimes, your brain is still busy learning!

1 Like

Agreed, itā€™s a meandering path with an uncertain destination. But a fun one to be on.

1 Like