Octave shapes to find all notes on the fingerboard

I have posted this in this section as seems to be the most appropriate place, but I only became aware of it in working my way through Grade 3 Theory.
Justin in the Grade 2 lesson suggest you learn all the notes in the first five frets and ideally all the fret board.
I have signed up to Grade 3 and with it you get his E-books, and in this it mentions octave shapes to find the adjacent octave on the fret board.
Not seen this in any of the video lesson so far in working through the theory course. I am aware it is covered in Grade 4 Intermediate Foundation but I guess like many I am long way off Grade 4.

Is this something that comes up later in the theory course or is not used at all, but it does seem to be useful technique.
I did see it mentioned the other day in another topic about barre chords, and had been contemplating raising it but that prompted me actually go ahead and raise the query.

Michael :notes::notes::grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

The octave shapes lesson is in module 4.3 of the theory course:

1 Like

Thanks Jozsef @Jozsef
I thought somebody would come back with an answer.
It is way ahead of where I am but perhaps I should have spotted it in much later lesson.
Michael :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for that, Matt. I am currently working on triads and being able to locate notes up and down the neck is huge.

1 Like

Robert @ChasetheDream
Knowing all the notes on the fret board seems to be an essential skill the more you progress. As I am only on on Grade 1 consolidation not so important, but have learned the position of all natural notes up to the twelfth fret, sharps and flats you can easily work out. I can write them on a piece of paper with fret lines, also able to find all six notes using note trainer app, occasional mistake when my finger accidentally touches the screen, at least that is my excuse.
All sounds wonderful but the next step could more difficult of transferring all of this theoretical knowledge onto the actual guitar, a step I am about to take.
Michael :+1:

Hey Michael,

Justin will refer to these octave shapes many times as you move through the courses.

Learning the octave shapes is a central base component for mapping scales, barre chords, triads, arpeggios etc across the fretboard. Internalising it will be of significant benefit as you move forward. Essential learning in my opinion.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I made a cheat-sheet using the diagrams in Justin’s lesson. Hopefully it doesn’t contravene any copyright rules. The original is a PDF, but I don’t seem to be able to upload those, so here’s a screenshot:

2 Likes

@jacksprat
Chris what you have started are 4 of the 5 chords of the CAGED. 1st octave is G shape missing note on G string. 2nd is C shape 3rd is A shape 4th is E shape missing Octave on e string. Here’s the full set Red dots are Root notes in other words the octaves.

5 Likes

Shane Chris
@sclay @jacksprat

Thanks for your input.

Done a bit more digging since my original post and perhaps understand why Justin leaves it a bit later in both the theory course and guitar course and introduces it at a point where you can make good use of it.

Cheers Michael :grinning: