Ohmygato - June 2023 - Beginner Grade 2 Final Recordings

Hello All,

I’ve really been slowing down recording lately. I’m still playing almost daily and have been slowly making my way through Grade 2 as well as branching out on my own quite a bit, especially into transcribing. I saw a few songs from Grade 3 that I really wanted to learn so I decided to finally get these recordings done for my final exam so I can feel right about moving on to new material. Please have a listen and let me know what you think. Am I graduated?

-Dan

“I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You” by the one and only Elvis Presley. Lovely chord pattern, simple but beautiful fingerstyle pattern. I had a lot of fun with this one.

“Earth Angel”, the Marvin Berry & The Starlighters version. I struck upon this song one morning playing some other song… the chord progression just came to me and I decided to transcribe it fully. Plus if we’re working on F why not do a song in the key of F? :slight_smile:

“Wish You Were Here” - Pink Floyd. Sort of a must-learn song. Love the chord progression, especially with the D/F#.

“Mississippi” - The Cactus Blossoms. Somewhere in the middle of Grade 2 I discovered the Cactus Blossoms and immediately fell in love, which sent me down a rabbit hole of close harmony brother bands like The Everly Brothers, The Louvin Brothers, etc. This particular song I decided to transcribe and I feel like I really learned a lot about songwriting.

“Sweet Home Chicago” - Robert Johnson. Apparently The Blues Brothers spoke to me as a 3 year old boy.

13 Likes

Hi Dan,
Your path looks very structured/disiplined …you are an example student in my book….some songs are good that you play :sunglasses: :clap:…but I will be honest with you…some songs are fantastic :scream: :sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing:

So overall I say… :man_student: :confetti_ball:

Greetings,Rogier

Great job Dan, enjoyed the playing and singing. Lots of technique, pass from this intrepid learner​:clap::clap:

Awesome… You pass. What are your recording with?

That was awesome, Dan! Especially liked “Sweet Home Chicago” :clap: :star_struck:
Passing with flying colours and them some, from my perspective! Well done! :sunglasses: :+1:

Thanks Everyone. I have just started on the Grade 3 material and am really enjoying exploring D chord variations and working on “Norwegian Wood”.

@roger_holland Thanks for your kind words. As I’m playing these songs I realize I have lots of little mistakes that can be cleaned up. I do worry that I might need some formal and strict technique work.

@DaveTC59 Thanks for listening and for your praise.

@jimcins Hi Jim, I use a single Rode NT1 mic and the Focusrite interface. I think I could use at least one more mic not to separate the guitar/vocal channels but rather to get a little more room sound. To my ears the vocals come out very clean but a bit too direct with this setup.

@nzmetal Thank you! As I think about the history of this song, where our world has been musically and where it is now it just feels right to play it.

1 Like

Great to see you back posting Dan, it seems to have been a while. A fantastic collection of songs there and I think that grade 3 is beckoning you with open arms.

Thanks Stefan! I am having a lot of fun with Grade 3 revisiting songs I have worked out and learning Norwegian Wood. I hope you are progressing in your studies as well.

I really enjoyed your playing on Sweet Home Chicago, great work on the turnarounds!

1 Like

Hello Dan! I didn’t listen to Earth Angel and Missisipi and can’t say about those…the other recordings are just great, both the playing and the vocals :star_struck: …a very enjoyable listening. Great job! :raised_hands::blush:

1 Like

Great stuff - really love your version of „Wish you were here“

1 Like