Old Dog Tricks - hello from Lou G

Hey everyone, Lou G here, I started playing guitar in '70 at the age of 13, got to a fairly proficient level, enough to support my singing which I really love to do and played in a few bands, coffee shops and bars and finally wound up leading Worship after finding Jesus in '87 - mostly play acoustic but have dabbled with electrics for a long time. Have always considered myself to be a “longtime beginner” got to a level of playing and stopped progressing. Have finally decided I want to learn how to become a lead guitar player and am embarking on this journey with Justin. I am starting at Grade 1 and working from there.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum Lou

Welcome! Starting at Grade 1 and taking your time is great to make sure that you aren’t missing anything. You will probably hang out for a few things and zoom through others.

1 Like

Hi Lou, and welcome! I think you will find quite a few of us “old dogs” around here. Wise choice to go through the beginner lessons even though you’re experienced. Justin has a way of pointing out things in a way that even non-beginners learn new stuff. Just today, I heard a well-known professional player say he’s still learning from Justin’s videos. I think that says a lot about his courses!

Yep, I knew about the two finger G chord but the Dm with the pinkie on the second string was a revelation- still having trouble using the pinkie after playing it for 50+ years the other way!! Never had a lesson, learned by ear and watching/playing with other guys - figured I better start with a sound foundation….

3 Likes

Welcome, Lou. It’s a great place to learn and have fun.

Welcome Lou, dive right in, there is a huge amount here and a friendly helpful crowd too :ok_hand:

Hi Lou

Welcome to the forum from another longtime beginner :smiley:

You’re in a great place with JustinGuitar. I also decided that I’m serious about progressing from beginner level but started at grade 1 too and learned so much! It is so worth it. :sunflower:

Hi Lou,

Welcome here (again …woof :smiley:) and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Welcome aboard, Lou! :smiley:

Sounds like a solid foundation to build on - I wish you loads of fun, enjoy the ride! :slight_smile:

Hi Lou, welcome to the community forum. I have the same problem with the Dm after playing 40+ years the 1,2,3 fingering. I sometimes still play the old way, so I know it will take a lot of repetition to get rid of that habit. I still go back to grade 1 occasionally to check my fundamentals. Have fun going through all the song lesson videos. There are a lot of songs that are fun to sing along with while you are playing.

Hello Lou
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning: