Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hello from a 63 year old dog, a year into learning. I never picked up a guitar before my current attempt to learn. I took piano lessons as a child but never stuck with it. Scales and Beethoven were a boring grind to a ten year old. When I turned 50, one of the bargains I made with myself was to try any hobby, pastime etc that I was remotely curious about when younger, only too busy or broke to have a go. The requirement of this bargain with myself was that I had to give it six months, before giving up, but I was allowed to give it up without guilt. I’ve tried and dropped a few things along the way, but here I am a year later, still with the guitar.
I posted on this forum a few days ago, very discouraged about my strumming, and I got such a wonderful show of support from complete strangers that I know I’m in the right place to help me through the rough patches. Thanks to Justin and all who work with him for putting such a valuable resource out there for all to benefit from.

Deirdre

8 Likes

Hi french Boomer here , 61.
I started Jan21 with a teacher 1h/week for 4 months , going nowhere Zero teaching skills.
I had a bad feeling after two weeks which confirmed later. So I stopped that.

Then I restarted all over againwith Justin’s. ( I am at the end Grade 1) .
What I love is the cool attitude and I follow up at my rhythm.
I pratice from 30 - 60 min/a day, on my acoustic and Supro61. 2 montsh ago I managed to play Heroes ( for more than one day :slight_smile: . I was soooo happy :slight_smile:
Technically not perfect yet over 80 bmp, but I can play along live versions more or less.

I just learned it takes tiiiiiiiime and repetitioooooons. And sometimes you forgot a chord change that worked a week before and you need to revise it.

Well, Don’t get desparate and dont get upset. Your brain needs to make connections and it takes time. More than if you were in your 20s

5 Likes

All truisms.
:slight_smile:

I have learned thru experience that, while your resolve and dedication may get stronger as you get older, your body may not always be willing to keep pace. I started playing 6 years ago at 62 and have continued to improve. There have been some physical obstacles in the way of pain from arthritis, carpal tunnel with complications, etc. None of these were the result of playing the guitar, just trophies of living an active life. It would be easy to give up and avoid the frustration. However, I’ve fought through it just for the pleasure and satisfaction I get from playing the music and continuing to learn. I keep challenging myself and will continue to do so as long as feels good to my soul.

3 Likes

That’s the spirit GoTN !!
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Age, arthritis, fat stumpy fingers, aches - I have it all. My advice to anyone with reservations about their physical or mental ability to learn is to trust your remarkable body and mind and work through obstacles, and never, ever give up. “What one man can do another can do” is a line spoken in the 1997 movie, “The Edge”. It is true. With persistence, patience and resolve, anything can be learned to some extent by anyone, regardless of limitations - self-imposed or otherwise.

My “born again” guitar journey started in 2019 at age 67 started with a whim and a neglected $20 Dean thrift store strat that I came to love. Although I had played (mediocre at best) throughout my teens, I decided to start from scratch, with the goal being to be able to get up impromptu and jam a blues lead with a house band. Enter Justin Guitar. After three years, many guitars and a lot of hours, I’m so close to this goal…

Justin Guitar is as good as the best self-instruction site I’ve found, hands down. I’m currently taking his Theory Course for the 2nd time. What a value - it’s a real jewel and so well presented.

7 Likes

@Papa_G Lovely tribute, full of wisdom, Gary. Now how’s about sharing some of your playing over in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing

1 Like

100 Percent in agreement with Justin as go to…I’m 70 and a year in. I’m learning to teach Myself with Justin as the " Sensei"

1 Like

I’m starting up again at the age of 55, having laid my guitar down 25 years ago, more or less. It’s been both frustrating and joyful, but it gives me something to look forward to every day. Especially since I can now play a song or two and not sound like a total idiot… well, sometimes anyway. So this old damn dog has definitely learned a new trick. I’m even writing some songs! So, WOOF WOOF

2 Likes

So many joining our pack we’re gonna need a bigger kennel!
:wink:

1 Like

I started with Justin Guitar in February 2021 and I’m still at it. It looks like my third attempt to learn might actually stick. I’ll retire next year and really get into it. Watch out Clapton!

2 Likes

Hi Richard:

That was very cool to recognize the efforts of old farts like me. Here is a fun medical fact I recently came across while studying for my Master’s in Psychology. The discovery of neural stem cells proved the long-standing belief that neurogenesis dwindles away at the end of development. In layman’s terms that means science has proven you can teach an old dog new tricks. We all can succeed by setting realistic goals and taking it one day at a time. Another thing I found is the willingness to receive feedback. Thus far what I have seen is politeness and encouraging words. No Simon Crowell stuff. End of my rant. Jeff

2 Likes

Well I am new to all this, coming up to 60, knackered hands and a finger tip that was never reset when it removed itself from its natural position. I acquired an old second hand guitar and am slowly working through the beginners course and I mean slowly. I doubt I will ever be called a real guitarist (too late in the day for that) but making some reasonable noise at present that might one day turn into music, I live in hope! Good see there are others applying themselves to this endeavour, good luck to you all.

4 Likes

Long time Guitar wanna -be. Started off ages ago, must be 30 years ago. Wrong guitar, action was wayy too high and gave up.
Move ahead to about 10 years ago, got a used Taylor and tried and gave up once again.
Found JustinGuitar, and a friend suggested to try again. Still at it so far. But I’ll ask this one more time.
When do you know If you are a guitar player ?
Try and play almost every day, but I’m still having a tuff time playing that dreaded F barre chord, so I try it everytime I play, and sometime it actually sounds ok, but going to it during a song is still just about impossible.
Just retired so I have no excuses for not playing, other than a small bit of arthritis, but thats only when it rains.

1 Like

Ooooh nooooo, it is never too late Trevor. Just take your time and learn your trade and ask folk here for advice however often you want. There’s plenty of old stagers as you can see from the link and at 60 you’re but a younger whippersnapper.

In the words of Jethro Tull, you’re never too old to rock n roll.

Welcome !

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

As soon as you can play a song from beginning to end. Doesn’t have to be fancy or complicated.
so you’ll need to learn at least 1 chord.
Woody Guthrie used to say “If your playing more than 2 chords your showing off.”

4 Likes

I started learning 2 years ago at the age of 55, so yeah, I am very much in the “Older beginner” category. So… 2 years in, do I think that starting in my 50’s rather than say, my 20’s has held me back at all?

Well… I am making progress, so that’s the main thing, and there’s nothing I can do about the age I was when I began this “Journey”, all I can do is enjoy the ride, which I am doing, but I do struggle with the speed with which I can change between certain chords, or moving my fingers around the fretboard when playing a riff for example, and before anyone suggests it, yes, I have done Justin’s 1 minute changes, perfect changes etc regularly. I don’t see any reason why age should be a barrier to learning guitar, however, I do feel that younger beginners with younger, more nimble fingers can progress much better than us older beginners…or is it just me?

2 Likes

Hi Richard/Everyone - I used to be a regular on the old Forum, but haven’t posted in literally years!! Just life I guess…we’re all mega-busy and finding time isn’t so easy.

Anyhoo…I saw a link to this thread in the latest JG Newsletter so had a quick look and here we are…

My story may be slightly different in so far as I haven’t started learning at an advanced age. I’m in my 60s now and have played on and off for over 50 years. I first picked up a guitar in 1970 would you believe!

Despite the longevity, I’m still learning. I should be better than I am but I never stuck to a constructive practice regime. I would play for a while then leave it for months. At one point I actually didn’t play for around 5 years. Took it back up around 1998 but still I don’t play regularly. It’s been about 2 weeks as of today’s date, sadly. I tend to suddenly hear a song I’d like to learn and off I go until I get it down then the guitar is laid aside for a while again. Not great I know!!

Then again I have been teaching myself ukulele and mandolin so I have an excuse. I’ll try to be around a bit more mods, promise… :wink:

Peter

4 Likes

Well, I’m certainly one of those old dogs. I’m 74 and playing for the first time. I started in September of 2021 and am about to finish Justin’s Grade 2 Beginner. I started playing for several reasons. First, I’ve always wanted to play and I love acoustic guitar music. Second, at my age I needed something to keep my brain active and I’ve been told that learning to play a musical instrument is great for doing that. Third, my wife has Alzheimer’s and I’m her full time care giver. While I’m at home with her most days I can take time for lessons and practice. And last but not least, my son has been playing for a few years and my son-in-law is a serious player with a great deal of experience. Playing with them has brought us closer - I like that. Some days I think I just cannot do this, others days I’m encouraged by my progress. I’m committed to continuing whether I ever achieve any level of accomplishment or not. I just love doing it. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey Justin and fellow oldies. Started with Justin about 3 years ago. Played drums and sang professionally some 40 years ago. Played concert violin through high school and beyond. After 30 some years without music in my life, I couldn’t take it anymore. Bought a Gretsch hollowbody electric with Bigsby, just because it was pretty and shiny and a decent price. Had never touched a guitar. I found Justin on line, and after some practice and a few donations, he had me playing music again! So I bought a Katan 50 from Justin’s advertisement, a PA and a mike, and was back to singing to my few basic chords and having a ball. Now, I have a songbook about 5 songs short of 200, all country, Elvis, some classics, 50’s, etc. I’m still learning and still having the time of my life at 74, with no stop signs in sight! Happy to know y’all, and proud of all of you! Thank you Justin, you changed my life! Pete, from Olympia, Washington.

3 Likes